"Because he's nice."

"Our kiss was nicer," he stepped forward, "I can remind you."

The kitchen doors swung open and Mrs Dawson emerged with chamomile tea. She almost dropped her tray at the sight of us. I jumped further away from Luke, as far away from him as possible. He raised an eyebrow at that.

"Let's have a seat in the living room," she said, giving Luke a sharp look.

We followed her into a well-lit room. A piano was positioned by the window and the seating area surrounded a marble fireplace. Family photos were placed on the sill. I noticed that most of them excluded Jake.

"Millie's here."

Charlotte and Mr Dawson were in the living room. She was busy convincing her dad to buy a TV for her dorm room. When they saw us, their conversation died.

I nervously took a seat on the couch. Luke stayed standing and Mrs Dawson set the tray of tea on the coffee table.

Charlotte waved at me and stood up to leave, "Nice to see you again, Millie. Enjoy your date with Luke."

Awkward.

"The date's with me," another voice sounded from the living room entrance.

Jake had entered the room and found his family surrounding me. Charlotte's eyes darted from me, to Luke, to Jake and then she said:

"Oh I'm staying now. There's no way I'm missing this."

**

Mr Dawson adjusted the cufflinks on his shirt. No one said a word as we waited for his reaction. He had forbidden anyone from leaving the room until we 'had a chat.'

Jake sat beside me on the sleek modern couch. He gave my hand a comforting squeeze.

"Tell us about yourself, Millie," Mr Dawson said.

I looked at his perfectly combed hair and shaved jaw. Behind him, there was a framed photo of Luke holding a basketball trophy.

I looked at the real-life Luke, who stood taller and older than the photo. Still picture perfect though.

"My name is Millie Ripley," I said with a nervous smile, "But you knew that already. I'm a junior at Preston Oakes and I live next door."

I was so nervous.  I came here to talk to Jake, to tell him that this couldn't go further, that I had kissed his brother...

Luke entered the situation, confidently, despite not needing to be there. He took a seat to my left. I scooted over a bit, since he took up more space than me. Jake was on my right.

Mr Dawson picked up on that. "You were here the other day, I remember. You were looking for Luke. Now you're here for Jake?"

Jake glanced at his brother with a dark, questioning look. "She was looking for you?"

Luke shrugged, "She found me."

I blushed.

"You-" Jake controlled himself, clenching his hands into fists.

I elbowed Luke to get him to shut up.

So there I was, sitting awkwardly between two greek gods. Jake was on one side, Luke by my other.

I wanted to tell Jake about what happened the night Luke and I kissed. It wasn't fair that we were about to go on a date, while my secret with Luke was un-aired.

I was careful where to put my hands. Every inch of me was conscious of the boys sitting on either side. I looked over at Luke who concealed his smirk. I then realized Jake was staring at me. I stared ahead.