3- Day One

Maaria's POV

Maaria's POV

Waking up from such a sleep, remembering where I am and where Mother has kept us in. Cathy and Carrie get out of bed, I remained in the bed, wanting to sleep more. I haven't had a good night sleep and sleeping with two girls in the bed....not very pleasant but we had to do what whatever we had to do.

Grandmother supposedly came in the room and talked with Cathy. Hearing a thud being heard on the table that was so near this bed and that horrid voice being talked.

"Your food," I sit up on my bed and see the twins walking up to Grandmother but she slaps their hand away,"Uh! Uh-uh-uh! Get your hands off that. That food has to last you the entire day. I can't be running up and down the stairs, the servants might get suspicious,"I get off the bed and Carrie comes over to me and I hug her while her hands wrapped around my waist and I looked at Grandmother while Cathy seemed horrified by her,"There'll be eggs for breakfast, sandwiches for lunch, and chicken for dinner. And I want you to eat all of it. Don't waste one bit of it, you understand?" Christopher comes over and I sigh looking at him, placing his hands on Cory's shoulders,"And if your good I may bring you some fruit."

"Thank you." A moment was looked between Christopher and Grandmother until she pulled out a piece of parchment.

"I've written out a list of other rules. First of all, you'll keep this room neat and tidy, as if nobody lived here. Keep your hair brushed neatly, and your bodies clean and fully clothed. And be modest when you go to the bathroom. Girls and boys are not to use the bathroom at the same time. You older children will keep the younger ones quite. No running around or yelling or crying." I looked down at the twins and Christopher speaks up.

"They're good kids, but they need somewhere to play and make noise." Grandmother heads towards a white door and I look at it in suspicion, as we all did.

"Ah. Over here, there's a...stairway," She opens the door to reveal a dark staircase,"Leads up to the attic." Cathy looked curious and had a questionable look on her face.

"You want us to play in the attic?"

"Up there, there will be ample room. And, the last Friday of every month, you're to clean out all of your things and hide up there while the maids are cleaning this room. No one must ever see or hear you. Do you understand?" We all nod our heads,"Good. Because if your Grandfather ever discovered that you're here, you'd all be thrown out without a red cent, but not before getting punished for even being alive."

I softly gasp at the last few words Grandmother said and held onto Carrie tightly a bit as Christopher was doing the same with Cory. Grandmother leaves us and Cathy sets the table as I grabbed my suitcase to see what to wear for the day.

After breakfast was done and the twins willingly ate their eggs, we all decided to check the attic. I slowly walk to the door and open it gently, making sure a noise wouldn't come out of it. Everyone walked behind me, while Christopher turned on the lights. We reached the top and I turned on the lights of the attic, just to annoy Christopher from doing it himself. We all walked inside the attic slowly and Carrie walked over to a racket of clothes with Cathy and Christopher teased Cory about having his own record player.