Chapter Fifty Seven | FrancisXPast

Start from the beginning

I was taken as a slave, this time against my will and my nephew, who grew to be four was taken in by a wealthy Roman family that had no male heirs.

I was given baths and clean clothing and that's when they discovered I was actually very attractive and because of this, I began work as a male prostitute. You think I'd be humiliated but my life was horrible and being surrounded by beautiful women dressed in silk white robes in comfortable beds was a dream.

I lived this way for a few years and ran into the man who'd married my sister, he was working as a slave but had run away and found me. I asked him what happened to my sister and found out she was also sold into prostitution and their children were child slaves in the palace.

I didn't know what else to do but to save my family. They were all that I had so I bought my sister from the brothel by stealing coins from one of my clients. I paid for a ship captain to hide her among the cargo heading to Britannia and went to find my nephews before dawn when it would leave.

At some point, my client found out I'd stolen from her and the guards were searching for me. I had to steal again in order to hide and I found my nephew from my other sister living well and happily and let it be as he'd be much happier there. The palace was the challenge and I as expected didn't make it very far. The quarters where the slaves were kept was heavily guarded and I was identified and slaughtered before I could do anything. By slaughter, I mean impaled with a sword and left for dead. They dragged my bleeding body to a dirty alley where a few other corpses lie about and the other inhabitants were all homeless or on the brink of death. I suppose someone saw my effort this whole time. I'm not sure how long they'd been watching but I know I saw the shadow of a woman before I woke up a vampire on the same boat my sister was stored away on.

She was in tears to be without her children. When I discovered my powers I returned to the capital and I built up wealth and status through rather immoral and illegal means but it didn't matter to me. I eventually succeeded in freeing my nephews and sent them to Britannia to be with their mother, though I'm sure they'd already forgotten about her. I'm not really sure what became of them, I do know that their father died in the arena and I watched it happen gladly.

I spent some time living in comfort surrounded by women and stealing from anyone and everyone before the Romans invaded Britannia and I went there to make sure my sister and nephews whom I'm not sure were even still alive, were not harmed. That's when I ran into the Briton woman and her two sons.

My life wasn't a cakewalk as you call it but it wasn't awful. I lost my family millennia ago so the pain is truly gone, it's just the memories that remain. I don't hate the Romans either, aside from a few things that happened here and there, it was because of them I found out and was able to explore my interest in men. However outside of Rome and in the following centuries, especially with the rise of Christianity, I had to hide my sexuality but when I became more involved with vampiric life I discovered they were open-minded individuals and we didn't judge each other so I spent most of my time dedicated to them until Antonio and I fell in love and then met Gilbert and fell in love with him. After that, we spent all our time as a trio rather than working for the queen. We didn't spend every year together, as I mentioned I spent a lot of time fighting for France, Gilbert did the same for the Teutonic Knights who became Prussia, and Antonio for Spain. I suppose there are a thousand more stories I could tell for every year of the thousands of years I've lived but my human life and the bigger events like Arthur, Antonio, and Gilbert stand out to me the most, to be honest.

I hope you don't mind me leaving it at that for now...

Francis trailed off and I was wide eyes and fucking depressed.

"Holy merde, are you okay?" Was all I managed to get out.

"Oui, especially when we're all together of course," he smiled sadly.

"Then we should get Gilbert and make that happen," I growled.

"We've known Gilbert more than eight hundred years, what he needs is time and space, give it one or two more nights at the very least," Antonio informed me and patted my back as comfort.

"We've been just as worried as you in the past, especially the first times he'd leave. Gilbert has trouble understanding and dealing with his emotions so seeing people from his human life, when things were normal and he was carefree are the only things that put him back in the mindset of things being "the same" even though they aren't the same he isn't willing to let go of his past and live in the present. He doesn't feel like anyone he's met since becoming a vampire actually gives a damn about him because of the venom incident."

"Wait, who's alive that knew him as a human?"

"Elizabetta did."

"What? How did they both end up vampires?"

"You've 'eard my story mon Cherie, zhat one is 'is, I'm sure 'e'll tell you eventually."