Epilogue

I felt like I had the most terrible hangover all the time

I felt like I had the most terrible hangover all the time. I was nauseous and liable to vomit at the slightest provocation. I couldn't even cook a meal without the smell making me wretch and heave. And it lasted all damn day for a few weeks now.

I always knew a heartbreak and the feeling of betrayal wasn't good but I never thought it would feel this bad.

My face had become gaunt, robbed of my usual rosy glow. I despised eating and mostly survived on ginger tea and an apple or some other piece of fruit.

It wasn't suspicious until I received a notification from my period tracker app.

I could be late because of all the stress...but for more than two weeks? My period was always on point, maximum one or two days late, but never this long. Only once it was late for a week and it was when my brother passed away. But from then, never again.

But back then, I hadn't had the need to worry about the other cause of late period. But now...it was a whole another story.

So that's why I've been sitting on my doorstep in the bathroom, shaking from nervousness. My stomach shifted uneasily and I noticed that the hands that I was hugging myself with, were pinching into my skin.

I released my hands but then I couldn't figure out what to do with them, so instead they clasped and unclasped each other as if in constant need of touch and reassurance.

Another quick glance at the luminous digital clock on the bathroom table only seemed to confirm that time was, indeed, slowing down, my stomach knotted up.

The silence lingering in the air was torturing me.

I shivered on the doorstep, waiting for the signal, but a small sigh of anxiety leaped out of my mouth.

Tersely, my eyes flicked to my phone next to me, waiting for the alarm. I never thought that two minutes could take so long.

Then it started.

I grabbed my phone and turned the alarm off as I stood up and walked over to the sink. I left the phone next to the sink as my hands began to shake in a way I couldn't control.

I took the test into my hands and turned it over, unveiling the result.

To be continued...

Or?

Lex TalionisOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara