Chapter One | Prisoner 218

As she sat in her small grey cell she hummed. She was sitting criss crossed in the center of the room. The song was something Aurora's mother used to sing to her at night. Just humming it now brought Aurora back to those days. She could feel the blanket tucked in around her, hear her mother's voice as clear as day. She could even smell her, if she focused hard enough. She smiled to herself, feeling the warm touch of her mother's lips on her forehead. Oh, how she wished that her mother was here.

She snapped from her thoughts when the door to her cell opened, the cool metal creaking in protest. She remained where she was though, kept up her humming. She only prayed it wasn't Council Member James Steele, anyone but him.

The footsteps hesitated as they entered the room. "Prisoner 218, face the wall."

She didn't even move, only paused in her humming. The voice that had spoken was not familiar, and she didn't know if that was a relief or not. The man had to have been a guard and if he was then why was he here? Her eighteenth birthday was still months away.

She still had time.

"Why?" Her voice came out cold and calm. She was always skilled at keeping her emotions under check. "It's not my birthday, and I'm in no mood for visitors."

"Face the wall, now."

Aurora sighed, rolling her eyes but decided fighting was too much work. Might as well see where this goes. She slowly stood up, brushing off her legs and stood facing the wall. She could practically smell the fear on the guard behind her, but she wasn't surprised. After what she had done to her supposed father, a council member none the less people had been steering clear of her. "I want to speak to my brother." She demanded, annoyed. "Lieutenant Dexter Steele."

Dexter was only 3 years older than Aurora but he had become a caretaker for her over the years. He knew how much of an ass his father was and didn't blame Aurora for what had happened, much to her relief. He was only her half brother but that didn't stop her from loving him one hundred percent, even if he was part Steele.

She hadn't seen Dexter for a week. He usually came to visit her every day, dropping off small gifts like chalk to draw, food she could actually stomach and the occasional blanket when it got cold.

"Hold out your right arm." The guard demanded, ignoring her demands. She could feel him right behind her, and that only spiked her anger. She hated when people got too close, or even touched her. It seemed to set off a lethal non controllable part of her brain that would attack without thinking. "Your too close." She whispered darkly, chills running down her spine. "I'd assume you would know what happens when people get too close to me."

If that guard had been scared before, he was definitely terrified now. "Right arm. Now."

Aurora didn't listen. "I want my brother. Now."

Then the guard made a fatal mistake. He grabbed her hand and that was all it took to set her off. Before Aurora knew what was happening she had spun, hitting the guard square in the face. A crack echoed through the room, seeming to bounce off the walls. He stumbled away from the force, a small box clattering to the floor but she couldn't care less what he had. The guard was groaning now, clutching his nose as blood poured through his fingers. Aurora could feel the cuts on her knuckles from hitting his bone but she barely registered the pain as she clutched her fists harder.

She was breathing hard as the guard met her eyes, his black uniform beginning to get covered in blood.

Now her panic was setting in. She wasn't ready to die. Not without seeing Dexter. "I warned you!" She screamed as another guard entered the room. This one was bigger and more familiar as Aurora pressed her back against the wall. Maybe she could fight him off, maybe she could win but not without earning a few hits herself. The second guard looked at the first, groaned before his beady black eyes landed on Aurora. "Really?" He barked out, more annoyed than pissed. Which was a good sign. Hopefully. "Again?"