chapter 12

L U K E

I heard shuffling and a handful of 'shhh' sounds before complete silence lingering in the hallway behind us. I was about to stand up from my seat, fucked up legs or not, and see what the hell is happening.

 What is going on? Did I really miss that much? And why do teachers have to be quiet while getting food? In their own lounge? It makes absolutely zero sense.That's bound to suck, I don't know why that rule has stuck with so many teachers. Imagine how easy it would be for kids to sneak inside now.

 Ms. Hyler waved her hand in front of my face to get my attention. I looked up at her. She motioned for me to go outside. I guess she must have realized how nervous I was, so she let knelt down in front of me, giving me a reassuring pat on my knee, before letting me continue my plan. 

That's why she's everyone's favorite; she actually gives a shit. 

Tyler rolled us out of the front office, while I sat, staring at my shoes like they were the hottest thing since sliced bread. I couldn't bear to see the sight of my locker, all dolled up like I was dead or like I was some charity case. All of a sudden Tyler parked my wheelchair and my family stopped. I looked up at them in confusion, did they really want to throw a pity party part 2? Then I saw it.

The majority of the school in front of me, with my face on posters, signs, and cards. Not pity cards like on my locker. But welcome back posters, congratulations on your recovery posters, we missed you posters. I was awe-struck.

 "WELCOME BACK LUKE!" They all shouted at the same time.

 My mouth was slightly opened and I just stared in shock. I was just there gaping for what seemed like forever, before I burst out laughing. The whole situation was hilarious to me, how I was so worried I wasn't ready, or they were look at me some way. I took control of my chair from Tyler, and went over to the front of the crowd where I was greeted with hugs, handshakes, and pats on the back. The whole time I was ear to ear. I couldn't put that smile away, to save me.

Then it all clicked. That's why my mom was worried. If I couldn't handle walking here, how could I handle all of the excitement. And that's why the halls were so quiet. They were all a part of this plan to surprise me. Everything was falling into place. Into my favor. And I couldn't be happier.

"Hey Watson" a voice greeted.

I looked up and was met with James and Zach, Ethan and I's 'big brother' from football. 

"Hey guys" I smiled, accepting James handshake, the one we were able to make before the crash.

"Hey Ethan" Zach spoke up. 

"Hey Zach" Ethan stammered out.

I looked at Ethan in shock to see his face consumed in a deep blush. I looked at Bethany with raised eyebrows, as she tried to hide her shocked face.

James nudged Zach on the shoulder, relaying some silent message that Zach seemed to understand as he held his hand out to Ethan.

"Come on, we need to plan another prank." 

Ethan scrambled out the chair, without looking at me or Bethany as if he were embarrassed. It's okay for now. He knows very well his life is at steak, we'll let him live his final moments in serenity.

James got behind the chair and I stifled a laugh in Bethany's hair.

"Yeah they have a little thing, but they're both so oblivious to see it." He spoke from behind me.

I didn't bother hiding back my laugh this time.

James and I dived into a conversation about football and what I missed and what I needed to expect for next year.

I couldn't be more grateful for him ignoring the fattest elephant in the room. 

James led us around the school, though Bethany had obviously already seen everything and all the new changes, she still pointed out the best clubs to join, or the worst school dances to exist, as she best put it.

Ethan came back a while later, a smile on his face as he looked up at Zach as he animatedly told retold a story.

When he came back to us, he silently, and very ungracefully, got back into the chair, avoiding eye contact once again. 

"It was good catching up guys, we'll see you next year" James promised, reaching for a handshake.

"Bye guys, get well soon Luke" Zach said, ruffling Ethan's hair as he walked away.

As soon as they left, Beth and I both turned to Eth with raised eyebrows.

He hesitantly looked up, but when he did he was met with out matching glares and quickly looked away.

"Hey Luke."

"Hey Beth"

"Did you just see what I just saw and had no idea about what I saw just seeing until I saw what I just saw?"

"I believe I did."

"Hm. That's very funny isn't it?"

"It's actually quite hilarious. I wonder who would have any information about what we just saw."

"Oh I do wonder"

"Hm that's funny. Eth you're rather quiet. Do you have any idea about what we just saw?"

Ethan's cheeks flamed red again, as he looked around as if looking for a way to get around this.

"Tyler! Tyler over here look we're here and trapped!" He yelled, waving his hands around to catch Tyler's attention.

Tyler looked up, and rolled his eyes walking over.

"You're causing a scene, stop it" He scolded, walking us out of the school and back to the car when everyone else was waiting.

"This isn't over Ethan Blyce." Bethany whispered.

"We're onto you." I continued.

He visibly gulped, and Bethany and I smiled.

"Aw leave him alone." Tyler laughed, ruffling his hair.

"He withheld valuable information. That is a sin in the rule book. He deserves it." I told Tyler.

Tyler nodded, "sorry kid you're on your own." 

Ethan gaped. "Wha- Tyler no, don't take their side." 

Tyler laughed, parking in front of the car, signaling Ethan and Bethany to get up. Once they did, Tyler helped me stand up and , against my will, lifted me into the car, not forgetting to tell me how light I was.

I rolled my eyes, buckling my seat belt. I sighed looking at my family.

"Thank you guys."

***

Hey guys! I hope you guys liked this chapter! We introduced James and Zach earlier on so I'm not whipping them out of my ass later and having them form a tight bond in like 4 hours lmao.

So if you get later on in the book and see that Luke is introduced to them again, I haven't updated up there yet so ignore it.

Yesterday I made some A class banana bread. IT WAS SO FUCKING GOOD. When I get some walnuts and cinnamon IT'S OVER I'M NOT EATING ANYTHING ELSE EVER AGAIN. If you're reading this book because you found me from my comments hi hehe :)

What did you guys think of this chapter? Ethan and Zach ? ;)

Y'ALL I HAVE NO IDEA HOW TO INTRODUCE THE MAIN CHARACTERS LOVE INTEREST AND IT KILLS ME. Looks like I'm reading a bunch of romance books smh I CANT do this by myself.

Please vote and comment and don't be afraid to tell me about any spelling or grammar errors because Lord knows I won't be able to catch it on my own

-hizzy xx