"Please," I said, passing it to him. We walked out of the kitchen and back into the halls. "The kings promised to teach me Italian, but they've been busy and we just haven't had the chance."

"I could teach you," Santiago offered.

If I had been holding the popcorn, I probably would have dropped it. "What?"

"I said I'd teach you, kid. You going deaf or something?"

"No, I heard you, I just didn't process it," I said. "Why would you want to teach me?"

Santiago shrugged. "You don't annoy me as much as everyone else here. Besides, hanging with the queen? Instant street cred."

"Gee, thanks. I'm glad you have my best interests at heart," I said sarcastically. I don't know what I expected, really.

"Oh, don't take it the wrong way. There are worse ways to spend your time, you know," he pointed out. "Just giving you the option, kid. You can say no if you want. But if you ever change your mind..."

I sighed. What was the harm, really? It wasn't like I had anything better to do. "Alright, Santiago, you can teach me Italian. But I want my guard there, too."

"What, don't trust me?" he asked, pushing open the door to the guard's lounge.

"More like I don't trust myself not to punch you," I responded.

Santiago laughed loudly, attracting the notice of every guard that currently occupied the room. "You crack me up, kid. This ought to be fun."

"Oh, leave her be, Santiago." A girl I had never seen before materialized beside us. She was shorter than me by only a couple inches and looked to be about twenty, with ebony hair and eyes that sparkled with mirth. "You're Queen Rowan, aren't you? The masters' mate?"

"Yes, that's me," I said, aware of all the eyes that were fixed on me.

"I'm Renata, Aro's personal guard. Come with me, I'll introduce you to some of the others. I doubt you want to be stuck with Santiago all night," she said lightly, seemingly immune to the glare he sent her.

"As always, Renata, your sense of humor leaves much to be desired," Santiago drawled. "Go on, kid, I can tell that you want to. I'll guard your popcorn with my life."

"I think I can handle carrying my popcorn," I said with a grin. "Thanks for the escort, Santiago."

He gave me an exaggerated bow. "It was my pleasure."

"Come on, I'll introduce you to some of the girls," Renata said, looping her arm through mine and pulling me away. She reminded me of Alice, with her bubbly manner and small stature.

"So you're Aro's guard?" I asked as we walked.

"Yes, I'm a shield, not unlike your friend Bella. My ability allows me to repel attackers, it's really quite useful," she said cheerfully. We stopped in front of a group seated at one of the long couches and I lit up at seeing Afton among them.

"Afton! It's so good to see you!" I exclaimed.

He stood when he saw me. "Rowan, I'm glad you're doing alright. Sorry I had to make myself scarce, but I figured it was best to do so until the masters weren't quite so mad at me."

"You should be good, Afton. Stop by sometime, it would be great to talk," I said easily.

"I will. Oh, how could I forget? This is my wife, Chelsea. Chelsea, this is our queen, Rowan." Afton held the hand of his mate, whose light brown hair was just a few shades shy of Esme's caramel.

Chelsea offered me a smile after standing lithely to her feet. "It's a pleasure to meet you, my queen. Thank you for standing up for Afton after the incident."