Ch. 8: Back at School

I got out of the car and ran inside. Bodhi was right behind me. "Sloane, stop. Let's talk about this."
She grabbed my arm. "Please."
I turned around and glared at her. "What am I supposed to say? All this is bullshit. It is not real."
Jett came up beside her. "Sloane, you need to calm down."
I gave Jett a death stare. "Calm down. Zeke just told me, my whole life has been a lie. That my dad has lied to me."
Bodhi smiled. "I thought you said it wasn't real."
I was taken aback. "Whatever. I've got to go to class."
The rest of the day, I avoided everyone. I kept my earphones in and just done what I was supposed to do. I didn't want to talk to them. I defiantly didn't want to talk to Zeke.
I was headed to study hall when I bumped into Phoenix. "Sorry."
I walked passed him to go to my locker. "Wait, Sloane."
He ran up next to me. "Where is the fire?"
I didn't look at him. He took ahold of my arm, pulling me to a stop. "What's wrong?"
I looked up at him. "It's nothing. Just a long day."
He gave me a sly smile. "Look, we may not know one another. But I can tell something is bothering you. If you want to talk, I'm here."
I sighed. "I just got told something. I don't know what to believe."
Phoenix's face went serious. "Told what?"
I shrugged. "Zeke said my family is part of a coven. That is was my birth right to know."
Phoenix stood up straight. "I think you need to talk to your dad."
"What? You believe it too?" I gave a breathy laugh.
"Just talk to your dad." He walked off into study hall, leaving me standing there.
I was standing at the door. I looked at Ziv and Zig. Then I turned my attention to Phoenix. They were all engaged into their books. Mr. Kal was sitting at his desk reading a book and writing.
When he looked up, he smiled. "Are you going to take a sit Sloane?"
I just stood there and looked back at the guys. I turned around and walked off. Mr. Kal was at his door yelling at me.
"Sloane, get in class. You don't want detention." He wasn't exactly angry sounding. He just had confusion in his voice.
I didn't stop or look back. I walked out to my truck and got in. I laid everything down and put my hands on the steering wheel for balance. I knew I couldn't leave because of Frankie. So, I drove around to the track.
I sat there watching her stretch and train. When the coach blew the whistle, she took off. She was ahead of everyone. It was like she was flying. That was how she use to get away from everything. She ran. Happy, mad, or upset; she ran. I don't think she ever slowed down. That was until mom passed away.
I watched her run, it was so natural for her. She was working on her second lap when the others still hadn't finished their first. I was proud of her. I hope she missed it and went back to it. She could use it.
I was working on Calculus work when there was a knock on my window. It was Frankie.
I rolled the window down. "Hey Franks."
"Hey, are you spying on me?" She snickered.
I shook my head. "I skipped study hall. Stuff happened, so I didn't want to be there. I came out to watch you and do homework."
She smiled. "You okay?"
"Yeah, just over it. You looked good out there. Great, actually." I nodded toward the track.
Her face was bright and happy. "I love it Sloane. I didn't think I still would. But I do. It's a part of me. I am going to keep doing it. Even join the team."
I laid my books down and climbed half way through the window to hug her. "Yay, Franks, I am so happy for you."
She hung onto me. "Thank you. Wait here, I will go shower and come back so we can leave."
"Alright." I climbed back in rolling up the window.
No sooner Franks went into the locker rooms, the passenger side door opened and in slid Mr. Kal. "Hey Sloane."
"Mr. Kal. What are you doing?" I asked.
He smiled. "I just wanted to check on you. What happened?"
"Nothing. I just had a long day and people telling me things. I just needed alone time." I wrapped my arms around myself.
Mr. Kal's lips pressed together. "Do I need to talk to some students? Tell them to leave you alone."
"No. I'm not getting bullied. It is just stuff about the town history. I was just shocked." I grimaced.
He glanced from me to the locker rooms. "Well, I wish I could tell you about the history. Sadly, I have no clue. I'm a newbie just like you. I only got here a few months ago."
Frankie opened the passenger side door. "Mr. Kal."
He half waved. "Frankie. I will just go."
When he got out and left, Frankie gave me a motherly look. "Don't even Franks. It isn't like that. He is a teacher. I am a student."
She got in. "Oh, come on. You know what happened to Brittany and her teacher last year."
"Different place. Different people." I started the truck up.
"Sloane, you done it just last year too." Frankie gave me a sneer.
I took off out of the parking lot. "I don't know what you want me to say Franks. I have changed since then, and you know it. I know it was wrong. That is why I stopped."
She scooted closer to me, laying her head on my shoulder. "I just don't want you getting hurt Sloane. I don't want things going back to the way they were like when we were in the city."
I wrapped an arm around her. "Franks, they won't. Things will be better here."
I hope.