MISTAKE: PT3

"You dragged me to the Underworld in the middle of lunch away from my friends who are probably worried sick right now to tell me to get Hazel a birthday present for you?" Nico stared at his father in disbelief. "I don't mean to be rude, but why don't you just get her a gift yourself? You get my birthday presents..."

Hades sighed, looking oddly distraught. "I cannot acknowledge her like I wish to, son. When I appear before you I can only sneak a glance at my own daughter in fear of the gods turning on her and sending her back here. I want her to live a long, happy life; it is all I can do to burn her paperwork or when it resurfaces put it back on the bottom of the pile. Thanatos has let her be, for he follows my commands, but direct contact with her could be fatal."

"Oh," Nico said simply. He felt bad for his father's awkward situation. Hades, even in his Greek form, seemed to care for the daughter of his Roman self. It was a shame he couldn't do so much as say hi to her in fear of someone noticing her. Part of Nico blamed himself, for he was the one had rescued her from the Underworld and brought her back to life, but he quickly pushed that thought away. Without her the prophecy of the Seven would not have been fulfilled. Hazel was supposed to be alive, and that was all that mattered.

The lord of the Underworld nodded. "As you can see, it puts me in a less than ideal situation. True, I would not know what to get her anyway, but I still think she deserves something special."

"I don't even know what to get her though." Nico admitted. "She is already content in New Rome with Frank, although..."

"Yes?"

Nico's face lit up. "I know! Do you happen to have any pictures of her mother?"

Hades nodded grimly. Despite Marie Levesque's selfish habits, using her daughter's powers for her own gain, she had loved Hazel very much. He also knew Hazel loved her mother too; they had also died together so it made their relationship symbolic in a way.

"I may be able to locate something... Good idea, Nico. I'm sure she will appreciate it."

He rolled his eyes at his father. "She'll love it. I'll tell her it was all your idea, okay? I can figure out something else to get her."

Hades actually smiled, although it could have been mistaken for a quirk of his mouth. "Thank you."

Eyes shining, Nico rubbed the back of his neck awkwardly. He wasn't used to his father thanking him for anything. "You're welcome. But, um, can you send me back to camp now? Lunch will be over soon and my friends are probably worried."

"You can shadow travel yourself back at any time."

"Yeah, but I was practicing with my powers a lot last night so I'm a bit drained," Nico lied.

Hades raised an eyebrow, saying nothing but still complying with his son's wish with a snap pf his fingers. Shadows enveloped him eagerly, transporting the child of their master into the middle of the dining pavilion with glee. They almost seemed to miss interacting with the Ghost King after the last two weeks.

"Get off of me," Nico whispered as he picked himself off the ground where some campers were watching him curiously. The shadows tried to wind around the son of Hades like vines. "I said get off of me!" He repeated, his voice this time around holding more authority but with a hint of unease mixed in too. Only then did the shadows slink away.

Sighing, he walked back to his seat beside Will at their regular table where the son of Apollo and a few others were gazing at him intently.

"What?"

"Did your dad call you again?" Will asked. He knew Nico wasn't using his powers, but he wanted to be sure.

"Yeah. He wanted advice on Hazel's birthday present. He'll be calling me back sometime soon so I can deliver it to her since he's not allowed to acknowledge her."