Awkward Encounters

Sam sits quietly in the library trying to find the location of his hackers.
Lockwood Estate.

When Elena walks in.

"Hey Sam?" She says from behind him.
Sam jumps.

"Hey Elena!" Sam chuckles, he quickly closes his laptop.

"Shhh!" The librarian coos.
Elena giggles.

"Are you ready for lunch?" She asks quietly.

"Right lunch! Yeah. Show me the way." Sam smiles looking down at Elena's big brown eyes, causing him to lose all control over his emotions.

He picks up his computer and slides it into his bag.

Awkwardly rising from his seat he takes a step outside of the desk and closer to Elena.

She leans in closer, batting her eyes at Sam. But before they could share a kiss, he pulls away.

"Let's go." He smiles, walking past her.

He was trying as hard as he could not to give in to his temptations, because he knew if he did there was no way he could give her up.
(Dean would also kill him if he knew Sam had a thing for one of the leading suspects in their murder case.)

Elena caught up with him, outside of the library.

"So what brings you to Whitmore?"

"Missed the deadline for Stanford." Sam chuckles slightly.

Elena gives him a light shove.
"Seriously."

"Well my family lives here and I wanted to stay local, plus I hear Whitmore has a one of the best law programs in all of Virginia. So I figured. Why not?" He lied.
(Also lying about the best law program)

"What field are you taking?" Elena looks up at him, longingly.

"Undecided. Criminal or corporate.
Currently in corporate." He answers,
noticing Elena's gaze.

She turns away quickly.
"So..Not-so undecided."

"No, I guess not." He smirks.

"What about you?" Sam glances towards the parking lot then back at Elena.

"What about me?"

"I want to know you, I want to know what makes you mad, what inspires you, your fears, dark secrets, favourite song, colour, everything and anything about you." Sam smiled down at Elena's wide smile and blushing cheeks.

They walk through the parking lot, Elena unlocks the door to her car.

Sam walks around to the passengers side.

Elena pulls her seatbelt over her shoulder, as she turns she notices the empty blood bags on top of the compartment.

She quickly throws them into the back before Sam opens the door.

She smiles as he gets in.

"So where are we going?" He asks as she starts the engine.

"Well since you want to know "everything" about me, we are taking a once-in-a-lifetime tour into Elena Gilbert's past, present, and future."

Elena smirks as she starts her engine.
"So first on our tour is the Mystic Grill, the bar slash restaurant which was and is my favourite restaurant in Mystic Falls." She implies glances over at Sam.

"Is this where you take all your first dates?" Sam acting smug.

"And it works every time." Elena says sarcastically.

"Awesome! Best part of ?"

"The hamburger's and fries are to die for, which is what we are getting. So your opinions are ineffectual." Elena giggle as they pull into the Grill's parking lot.
----------------------------------------------
Jeremy Gilbert stares in awe from behind the counter as Elena walks in with her 'mystery friend' that everyone seems to know more about.

He tosses his dish rag over his shoulders and quickly jumps over the counter.

Elena and Sam sit in a booth far from the bar, Elena was hoping Jeremy hadn't noticed.

But he was at their table in seconds.
"Hey Elena. Who's this?" Jeremy smirks.

Elena hesitated, so Sam spoke on her behalf.

"I'm Sam." He says politely.

"This is my brother Jeremy." Elena rolls her eyes.

"How do you two know each other?" Jeremy pulls out his notepad and flips to a wordless page.

"School. Jeremy." Elena says staring Jeremy down.

Jeremy ignores her snarky comment.
"How's Damon?"

Elena looks at Jeremy mortified.
"Excuse us Sam."

She grabs her brother tightly by his arm and pulls him far away from their table.

Sam attempts to eavesdrop by reading their lips when, his cell phone dings.
A text from Dean.

Pictures of a ring from every angle, and one text of Dean's classic smart-ass remarks.

"Found this at the crime scene, I need you to do what you do best. So get on it geek buster."
----------------------------------------------
"What the hell Jeremy!" Elena exclaims.

"What are you doing Elena?" Jeremy folds his arms over his chest.

"Not that it's yours or anyone else's business. I am having a friendly date with a very nice person I met at a party."
Elena glances back at Sam, who taps his fingers on the dark wooden table patiently for her return.

"Friendly date my ass. He's a bad guy Elena. Trust me" Jeremy argues.

"How would you know?" Elena asks furiously.

"Bad guys are your type."

"Screw you Jeremy." Elena growls, turning her heels and heading back to Sam.

"Is everything alright?" Sam asks as Elena pulls her purse over her head and onto her shoulder.

"We're leaving." Elena says pulling Sam to the door.

They walk out hand in hand, Elena leads Sam back to her car.

"Sorry about that." Elena apologizes.
"Don't, I get the over-protective-brother routine." Sam reassures her.

"More like over-dramatic-jackass-brother routine." She says starting the engine aggressively.

"So where are we going now?" Sam asks as Elena starts the car.

"Home."
----------------------------------------------
Jeremy watches as his sister drives off with the dangerous stranger, making him even more nervous than before.

He walks into the storage room
and calls Caroline.

Caroline: "Hello?"

Jeremy: "Elena was at the Grill with the guy."

Caroline: "Was? Where are they now?"

Jeremy: "I don't know."

Caroline: "Did you talk to her at all or just stand and stare the entire time?!"

Jeremy: "We talked, but the
conversation got a bit heated. Then she left, with Sam."

Caroline: "God, Jeremy what did you do?!"

Jeremy: "I may have may have not brought up Damon in front of Sam and told her she gets around."

Caroline: "You are a terrible brother. Elena and Damon just broke up!"

Jeremy: "Well how the hell am I supposed to know!?"

Caroline: "Uh, why not try asking her how she is? God you are so uninvolved it's saddening."

Jeremy: "Just find her."

Jeremy hangs up.