Colors Must be Wonderful

Soulmate AU!
You've been taken in by the royal family after your parents died of an unknown illness, luckily it wasn't contagious. But if it was, you didn't catch it.
I'm not going to say anything else, let's just get on with the story!

~

"Rapunzel, what are colors like?"

You were sitting in your new room, princess Rapunzel was combing your hair.

"Huh? Oh! W-well, colors are beautiful! There's, red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple, and many others!"

"Colors must be wonderful." You said with a sad smile.

In your world, which felt like the only world, people start off seeing everything only in black and white with different shades of gray.

The only way to see color was to find your soulmate. You'll know when you have found them when your whole world fills with bright and beautiful colors.

Some people aren't fortunate. They search and search, but they never find their soulmate. They spend their entire lives seeing only dark and boring colors.

You were afraid to be one of those people, you really wanted to see color. Your parents saw color, and now, mostly everyone that is around you can see color.

Rapunzel gave you a sad look and put her hand on your shoulder. "I'm sure you'll find your soulmate soon, don't lose hope."

You looked at her and she smiled, you gave her a small one in return. But it felt forced, it was starting to get hard to believe you would ever find your soulmate.

Sure it could happen at any time in your life, but it just feels terrible waiting when everyone says how beautiful and amazing colors are.

"Hey! Me and Cassandra are going out beyond the walls of Corona tonight, wanna come with?" Rapunzel's loud whispering snapped you out of your thoughts.

"Are you sure that's a good idea? I-I mean, what if we get hurt?" You whispered back.

Rapunzel giggled and put her hands on her hips. "As long as we have Cass on our side, we'll be fine!"

You were a little uncertain about this, but Rapunzel seemed to be very confident so maybe you would be too. But going outside of the walls was risky, no one really knew the dangers that could be beyond them.

"Meet me in my room at 9 pm, we'll sneak out of the castle and Cass will show us something. I don't remember what she said it was, but it was new to her. She said she's never seen anything like it before."

You nodded and Rapunzel left the room. You decided to go out and get some fresh air, and once you got your dress on, you headed out to the streets of Corona.

It was busy today, you weaved through crowds of people and constantly said "excuse me" as you did.

You had brought your purse so you went to Monti's Sweet Shop to buy some candy for the road. You had gotten a lollipop and before you left the store, you asked Monti what color it was.

"Still haven't found your soulmate huh? Well, the lollipop is pink. I'm sure you'll find them soon, don't give up (Y/N)!"

Monti gave you a sweet smile and you left the shop. Everyone says that. Your parents did, Rapunzel did, and now Monti.

As you walked down the streets, you stared at the candy treat in your hand. Twirling it around in your fingers, you wondered if you would ever find your soulmate. You couldn't lie to yourself, you were having doubts.