𝟭𝟭. demons we hide

Start from the beginning

     Because around her head was a metal device with a bunch of big needles that she could not see, and it was wrapped tightly around her head. She tilted her head and almost immediately cried out from the intense pain that shot up to her head. It felt like someone was cracking her skull open and piercing knives into her bare skin. 

     It hurt so much she'd rather be dead.

     The redhead lifted a shaky hand up to her face, slowly feeling her head until it touched something cold and metallic. She didn't even touch it fully when she felt something sharp pushing itself into her brain. It made her drop her hands, squinting her eyes and trying to force down the pained scream wanting to escape from her throat.

     "I wouldn't do that if I were you," A female scientist said, harshly grabbing her wrists and strapping them on the metal bed.

     "Rachel. Gar. Gar." She began to mutter absentmindedly, hazy eyes fluttering open as if she were searching for someone. She felt so helpless. There was too much pain. Too much. "Where is he? Where are my friends?"

     The scientist ignored her and turned to another person in a lab coat. "Vital signs are spiked up than normal. There's something strange in her brain activity, but it only reacts to her emotions. We can't possibly extract that."

     The scientist glared at her colleague. Unhappy.

     "We will, and we can," She said firmly, suddenly grabbing a metal container that held sharp and thick needles, not smaller than a guitar string but definitely bigger and hurtful. They glinted dangerously under the bright lights of the room.

     "No." Aurora's eyes widened in fright, and she tried to pull against the restraints, only to fall back from the incredible pain. "Please..."

     "All you have to do is give in," The scientist said calmly, grabbing one needle with her gloved hand. Her eyes seemed to stare down at her as she prepared to plunge it into her head. "Then maybe we'll stop."

     "Don't touch me," She breathed erratically, her body literally shaking, but that didn't stop the scientist.

     It felt like minutes even though it only took her a second to slowly stab the needle into her head like she was a pin cushion. The excruciating pain threatened her to pass out but she fought that urge. She didn't even scream. She bit her lips so hard to refrain from making any noise that it started to bleed. She refuses to give them the satisfaction of succeeding in breaking her down.

     But who was she lying to? Aurora was already broken, but that didn't mean she would show it to the world.

     "Stop dragging this any longer," The scientist said through gritted teeth, putting in another needle but with each one━it only made Aurora suck in a deep breath. She was getting better at acting like it wasn't affecting her. "We can end this right now. Just show us who you truly are."

     "This is me," Aurora spat, and the scientist sighed at her answer. She shut her eyes, wishing it was all just a dream, but it wasn't, and Aurora was becoming so, so tired. "What else do you want?"

     "You're wrong, Aurora." The woman shook her head rather disappointedly. She let out a loud sigh as she dropped the needle on the metal table with a clank. Then she took off her gloves like she was finished for the day. "We've seen what you can do. You're not what you seemed you are, and you have to embrace that."

     Aurora almost believed her. She almost wanted to tear her heart out with her bare hands, too. But Aurora was stubborn. It was something she got from Gar. Ever since she met him, he had helped her gain confidence. He always reminded her that she was stronger than she let on. He didn't change her. Gar influenced her to change herself for the better.

     The female scientist turned away, and Aurora almost felt relieved. But then she ordered something to her men, and two of them replaced her, standing on both of her sides. They put on their gloves, spotless white unlike the multiple ones on the table with blood covering them. One of them touched the metal thing around her head, and she forced herself not to flinch.

     "This might hurt a little." The man smiled wickedly. And by little, he meant a lot.

     It felt like her vocal cords just got ripped out of her as the loudest scream erupted from her lips when the men began twisting, piercing, and pulling the needles into her head. They would constantly exchange comments here and there, monitoring something on a screen next to them, but they weren't getting the result they wanted.

     She knew she was close to fainting, but she fought through it. Because she also knew what happens when she becomes too vulnerable and anguished. It takes over her.

     The pain she was in right now wasn't like any other pain she'd been in before. This one was worse. And she wasn't too sure if she was going to get of out it alive. But then she remembered them. Her family. The people back in the mansion. Rachel. Dick. Kory. And Gar. Oh, God. She couldn't leave them. She won't give up on them.

     He was her anchor, the one who kept her glued to the ground when she felt unstable. He was her confidant, and perhaps Aurora adored him more than she planned. Yeah, maybe he doesn't know, but it was something she wouldn't mind doing forever because he makes her feel safe.

     Gar had become her home as she was to him, and perhaps that was the most beautiful yet tragic thing about the two teenagers who already lost too much in this cruel world.