Chapter Two, pt 2

Start from the beginning

"But Bane is the one who found me before the link was formed between us. The magic seems very straightforward by simply me naming him."

"That is probably because you have an affinity for all living creatures. Unique skill is not randomly given to anyone; they are attainable when a person reaches a certain point in their ability. The unique skill given to them is made according to each person's quality. Even if it's an average monster lover, that person would not be able to gain it easily. The unique skill 'Pair Link' is bestowed onto you because you must've greatly cared for them from your previous life. Bane is different from the rest of his kind. He possesses the Spirit's blessing. He must have sensed your presence when you were in the forest and took an immediate liking to you," Lord Sol explains.

"My presence? Auntie El also said the same thing earlier."

"You have been emitting your mana since you came to the village. That is why Maya has been taking care of you, making sure you don't tire yourself out. Most learn to control and contain their mana at a young age or else they would burn out."

My eyes turn wide in shock at the revelation.

"Your soul is not burning out," Auntie El dispels my shock.

Lord Sol ignores the glare from Auntie El and speaks with disbelief. "On the contrary, you're perfectly stable."

He goes on to point out, "Furthermore, those skills. Usually, you're supposed to learn the art and train for years to master them."

I skim through the list of skills again and see that I have in fact, done about half of it. Grandfather took me to several sports lessons to find which one I like best. He claims it's to vent out my anger because in the beginning after living with them, I used to be quiet and rarely express myself. While admittedly I don't possess the strength for hand-to-hand combat, although I did take self-defence classes upon my grandparents' insistence, I'm better with the sword and bow. I learn how to cook from my grandmother. She prefers to make them herself rather than buy instant and pre-made food from the stores. One time when she made a surprise visit to my place and sees the take-out boxes, the scary look on her face. My body shivers just remembering it.

Ignoring Lord Sol's inner turmoil over my abnormal-looking status, I ask about the dimensional space magic. Apparently, it's a type of magic that can store anything aside from living objects in a separate space. Time does not affect it either. Therefore, food will stay fresh and won't rot. So, it's a combination of having a small backpack with unlimited space and a vacuum flask.

"That's convenient," I mutter.

Lord Sol warns not to use it in public.

"Dimensional Space magic is an exceptionally rare thing. A person has to be born extremely lucky to have it. There's an item bag with a similar effect, it was first made to replicate the usage of dimensional space magic, however, the item bag can only carry a limited amount without the benefit of time suspension and it's immensely costly to obtain one."

My life is an ironic tragedy. I can't believe I had to be hit by a meteor to luck out on something like this and yet I have to be careful when using it. I sigh heavily. Auntie El notices my dismay.

She touches my face and comforts me. "Do not despair, dear Iris. We will teach you how to use your magic."

"Thank you, Auntie El."

I stand up and bow my head to them.

"Please take good care of me from now on."

The two sages are now standing in the empty hallway, looking out to the courtyard watching Bane behaving gently around Iris who has covered her hair back with the hood. Lorelai brings the Great Wolf through another entrance as its striking appearance attracts curious attention from the other elves. Maya and Lorelai are watching over them.

"We didn't need the crystal orb to perceive the power she holds."

The head elf breaks the silence.

"It is as though they are one kindred. Not as master and beast," Elder Spirit states as she observes the interaction between Iris and the Great Wolf.

Kinai approaches the head elf.

"My lord, will the girl be unharmed?" Kinai expresses his concern.

"Tremendously so, I believe. You sensed it too, don't you? The presence radiating from her." He pauses then continue, "Rest assured. Elder Spirit and I will take charge of her directly and Maya will continue to look after her."

Kinai's face distorts at the head elf's decree before quickly regaining his composure.

"I shall rearrange the tasks immediately," Kinai responds then return to his post, leaving the two alone once more.

"I will inform the other sages," Elder Spirit tells Lord Sol while not taking her eyes off Iris and Bane.

"That would be greatly appreciated."

Elder Spirit reappears in front of Iris and relays her wish for only Bane to hear. "Protect the beloved child, dear one."

Bane lowers his head to the Elder Spirit.