Elley Sells Papes

Start from the beginning

"Am I interrupting something here?" she asks quickly and Mush's facial expression changes entirely when he sees Elley still holding his hand.

"Elley!" he gasps and Elley quickly lets go of his hand, pretending she hadn't noticed when indeed she had. She barely knows this girl and she already doesn't like her. Jack looks back at the commotion and raises an eyebrow.

"What's going on?" he asks. Elley hurries away from Mush and runs up to Jack, Davey, and Race.

"Mush and his girl is what happened. Basically, I'm being ignored," Elley says. Race clucks his tongue and shakes his head.

"Which is such a shame. He's missing out on one beautiful Kelly," Race says which causes Flavi to cross her arms and let out a huff. 

"Nothing against you, beautiful Flavs," Race says and Flavi smiles shyly. Her cheeks turn a bright red. Kid Blink gently slings his arm over Elley's shoulders. Jack shoots him the tiniest glare.

"Elley, I'll help ya sell papes and then maybe we can watch what happens," he starts and Elley starts to smile a little bit. He isn't Mush, but he is Mush's best friend. Maybe he is just as fun as Mush is.

"Maybe. I think Mush wanted to show me some of this part of the city though," she says with a grin.

"Come on, Elley. Will ya at least go selling with me some time?" Kid Blink asks. Elley thinks for a second and then nods.

"Sure, I'll go selling with you sometime. Just not this time," she says and she then spits into her hand. Blink does the same and the two shake on it. Jack gently starts steering Elley forward.

"Come on, El. Someone's gotta teach you how to sell," he says and Jack shoots a mischievous glance at Davey, "Davey, you wanna teach Elley how to sell papes? I'll be right here too." Davey shrugs.

"I guess it won't hurt," he says and Les tugs on Jack's sleeve.

"Can I show Elley how to sell?" he asks innocently and both Davey and Jack shake their heads.

"Les, we need you and your face to sell papes for us," Jack replies with a smile. The group approaches the Distribution Center.

"His face looks way better than someone's face who lives in a trash can," Crutchie sasses loud enough for the Delancey brothers to hear. Katie hurries over to Oscar to distract him to keep him from hurting anybody.

"Don't worry about them. They're just joking," she says quickly and Oscar calms down but, not before shooting the group of Newsies a nasty glare. Katie and Oscar continue to talk.

"Watch out for them," Falcon whispers to Elley, "They'se bad news. Katie can keep em calm but, when she ain't around. There ain't much stoppin em from being dirty."

"I know. Mush saved me from them," Elley replies, casting a glance back at the Newsie and his girlfriend.

"It just makes me sick to watch him moon over her. She's nice but, she ain't that nice," Pups says softly. Flavi and Falcon trail off to go get in line with Race to get their papers.

"El!" Jack calls to his younger sister and Elley hurries up to next to her brother.

"You wanna talk later? We'll listen," Pups says. Despite the fact that she is younger by a couple of years, Pups is fiercely loyal. She gets in line behind Elley. Elley nervously fidgets with her hand. Jack pulls her up next to him.

"I'se will pay until you'se doing well enough to make a decent amount of money to handle your own finances," he says and Elley smiles at him.

"Deal," she says and Jack pays for their papes. Both Oscar and Morris are eyeing Elley from behind the counter of the Distribution Center counter. Elley nods at them. Jack pats her back and sends her down the ramp to where Race and Flavi are having a fight.