Beauty and the Bad Boy

Post-Strike (Ask BeckyMerari1808 for where it fits in with my timeline, because I don't know where it does. I would say after Find Your Future)

Racetrack loves his sisters. Katie, his 16 year old sister, had been in a similar situation as his other sister, Falcon. She had showed up at the Distribution Center early that morning. Race and Falcon had been so happy to see her. Katie had seen her two siblings around, but she had never really wanted to be a Newsies until today when she changed her mind. It was an ordinary day for selling papers and the Newsies had been heckled by the Delanceys just like normal. Flavi had been sticking to Race like glue all morning. Eventually, the three girls went off selling together and Race wanders off towards Sheepshead.  Suddenly, the two tall Delancey brothers block his way.

"Hey! Move ya bums. I ain't got all day. I'se got bets ta make an I'se gonna win at em," Race protests, but the Delanceys advance on him.

"Stuff it, Higgins," Oscar Delancey growls before punching Race hard in the gut. Race groans involuntarily and he bends in half. Oscar and Morris haul him off to the one place they know how to take care of kids. The Delanceys kick open the door to the Refuge. Even though the Refuge has been closed, Weasel has instructed the boys to "take care" of the Newsies in there since it has been abandoned. Once they find a cell, the Delanceys toss Race into it and his head snaps hard against the floor. He starts to protest again.

"Leave me sisters alone. Dey's innocent," Race grumbles as he slips into unconsciousness. The Delancey brothers chuckle at the now weakened boy in the prison cell.

"Oh, don't worry. We'll take good care of them," Morris says under his breath. The Delanceys shut the door and Race struggles to protest. Eventually, his head gently graces the floor as his unconsciousness takes over. The last thing that comes to his mind is that there is only one place he could be, the Refuge. His disappearance causes quite the commotion back at the Lodging House. Flavi is pacing back and forth, upset that her favorite person in the whole world has disappeared.

"If he's pullin some kinda prank, I'se going ta be so mad," Flavi growls as she paces. All of the Newsies sit around thinking about what had just happened. Jack eventually stands up and pulls her into a hug, stopping her from moving.

"Sit still, DiAngelo. We'se gonna figurah dis out togeddah," Jack says to her and the rest of the Newsies gathered there. Heads nod and Race's sisters are crying. Crutchy is comforting Katie and Albert is comforting Falcon. Jack sits Flavi down on the couch, sandwiching her in between Mush and Skittery, who will keep the young girl sitting down. Jack starts to pace and Flavi growls from her spot on the couch,

"That's not helpin, Kelly." Skittery gently puts a hand on her shoulder. Katie shifts in her seat and sobs into Crutchy's shoulder.

"Jack, he could be anywhere," Falcon says through her sobs, "Ain't no way wese are gonna find em on our own." Jack stops pacing for a moment and looks at the two sobbing sisters. He looks outside and notices the street lamps lighting up for the night.

"Alright, everyone go ta bed," Jack commands and the three girls look about ready to punch him. "Ey! Meybe's wese will hear someting tomorrow dat will put us on da right track. I'se will ask Spot if he's seen Race at Sheepshead recently." Everyone reluctantly goes to bed except for the girls.

"Do ya tink he's okay?" Katie asks and Flavi scoots in between the two girls.

"I'se don't know," Flavi says to Katie.

"We'se got ta find im. Race may get hoirt fore we find him," Falcon states. She starts to get up, but Flavi pulls her back.

"Not so fast, Higgins. Race and Jack both would be mad if I let ya run da streets by yaselves. Youse takin Jack wid ya," Flavi says, putting her small hands on her petite hips. Katie and Falcon exchange looks and turn back to Flavi.