The Watchers

Three days later Laserbeak returned to Soundwave, transforming into his bird-like form and alighting on the mech's outstretched forearm. The mechanical condor chattered and shrieked giving its master all the information it had acquired during its reconnaissance before folding down and returning to its awaiting space in Soundwave's chest compartment.

Barricade came out of his stasis and transformed into his robot mode,"So? What did the little buzzard find out?"

Soundwave turned his head only slightly, "Primary target acquired."

Scratching his claws together Barricade hissed, "Good. Did he tell you where?"

"Affirmative."

Barricade growled, beckoning forcefully, "AND?"

The impassive mech pointed East, "Target acquired 248 miles due East."

Barricade glanced in that direction, "They're close then. Did Laserbeak give you the name of Ironhide's human allies?"

"Names unknown." Soundwave replied, "Sending images collected now."

In a blur, the images flashed through Barricade's optic processors. There was Ironhide in his robot mode standing a short distance from a human dwelling. He appeared to be guarding it even though his cannons were folded passively in the respective compartments on his bulky forearms. The first video didn't show any humans but the second one did. Laserbeak had hidden himself in a tree to record the images and the distance gauge told him the spy had definitely kept his distance. Barricade watched the video of a human child running about just under the imposing black Autobot. Ironhide appeared to be watching her as she darted from tree to tree. Oddly, Barricade noted the infamous Decepticon terminator was smiling—and not in a malicious way either. Then Ironhide reached down, gently picked up the child, and placed her on his shoulder. The image dissipated. Barricade rewound the short clip and enhanced the facial features of the child so he could positively identify her.

Barricade let himself smile darkly. "Laserbeak did well. Let's find her and then figure out what Starscream wants to do next."

Almost appearing to lie down, Barricade shifted into his sleek Saleen form. Soundwave in turn brought his arms in close to his chest and with an intricate shifting of plates transformed into a Balkan MK6 surveillance vehicle. The police car tipped its front with regard.

"Nice form."

To that Soundwave's voice seemed to lower, "Human design inferior."

The Decepticon snorted a laugh and kicked up some dirt to find the nearest road.

...

The next day...

"Daddy! Daddy! Daddy!" Annabelle shouted ecstatically running through the gate out to the road where Captain Lennox was dropped off by the military jeep.

A broad smile covered the man's face as he dropped his suitcase to hug his daughter, "Hey, Sweetie!" His arms encircled her, "Did you miss Daddy?"

"Yes! Whatja bring me?"

Laughing at her candor, Will waggled a finger at her, "You'll have to wait."

Annabelle pouted, "Aww!"

The driver of the truck hopped out and circled around to the back where two 55 gallon oil drums sat. "Where do you want these, Captain?"

Will squeezed his daughter and then said, "Annie, why don't you go tell mommy I'm home while I help unload some stuff. Then I can give you your present. Ok?"