Hide and Seek

Continuation of the events of Chapter 5...

Little Annabelle was so excited that Ironhide agreed to play with her she about ran outside in bare feet. Her mother promptly caught her and forced her to don her tiny sneakers before going outside. Shoed and with stuffed kitty in tow, the toddler made her way out the front door, carefully managing the difficult steps of the porch. Walking was the easier part, steps took more concentration. Once she had conquered the tedious steps she glanced around for Ironhide.

"Iwonhide?" she called.

The ground beneath her shuddered, pulling a gasp from her lungs as Ironhide peeked around the house at her, "I'm here."

Smiling from ear to ear, Annabelle toddled around the house until she was standing next to him. He warily glanced way down at her a moment, making sure he knew where she was at all times. Then he directed his sights to the second story window again where Sara was standing.

"We pway now?" Annabelle asked hopefully, craning her neck back as far as it would go.

Sara leaned out the window and called down to her daughter, "Ironhide can play in just a minute sweetie. Just let mommy talk to him. Ok?"

Annabelle stomped impatiently but slowly sat down, absently picking at her toy's fake fur.

The huge black Autobot kept his optics riveted on the toddler sitting mere meters from his foot until Sara cleared her throat at him. He snapped his head at attention.

"Now, Ironhide I want to lay down the ground rules for playing with Annabelle," the woman stated in a commanding tone.

Ironhide narrowed his optics with annoyance. He didn't like to be talked down to...least of all by humans.

His tone sounded mildly threatening, "Proceed," he grated.

Sara pulled her hands away from the window sill, nervous from his tone. Seeming to remember she was dealing with a very proud, twenty-five foot tall robot, she reassessed her approach.

"I'm sorry, Ironhide. I didn't mean to sound preachy." Her eyes softened, peering down at Annie, "It's just...she's my baby girl and I want her to be safe."

Ironhide sighed, controlling his tone as well, "Understood, Sara Lennox. Proceed with your guidelines."

The woman smiled, "Ok. Annabelle is not to leave the farmyard or be anywhere near the road. Though, I don't think she'll go past the front and back yard anyway."

Ironhide nodded. From the moment he was assigned to the Lennox family he had charted out the whole property in his mainframe, down to the last plant.

Now he was plotting out an invisible "Annabelle Barrier" around the Lennox property in his head.

Sara continued, "Make sure she doesn't eat anything out here."

Ironhide quirked his head at that. He wasn't even sure what humans ate anyway. "I'm...not sure I understand."

"Annabelle is at that age where she still puts things in her mouth to figure out what they are." Sara explained. "Sometimes, that can be a bad thing."

At last Ironhide said with understanding, "You are trying to prevent a poisoning."

"Yes."

The big Autobot nodded, "Just a moment Sara Lennox."

For a moment the Autobot's blue optics glowed brightly, his memory recalling the fine details of the property while simultaneously identifying the particular "Annabelle Poison Threats" of the Lennox home.