Repairs and Reunions

Direct continuation of Chapter 7...

Compliantly, Ironhide's body hissed, opening his chest plate for examination. Optics periscoping out to get a better microscopic view, Ratchet set to work on the intricate tubing and wiring that made up the weapon's specialist. First he went over the old patchwork and fix up jobs he'd performed on the veteran over the past few centuries, which were numerous. Most seemed to be in good order, with a couple minor exceptions.

Ratchet murmured while he worked which seemed to irritate Ironhide, "Hmm. Looks like you need some fresh connections here...and here. How's your hip alignment?"

"Fine." Ironhide said deeply.

Harshly the medic rapped the left hip in question which made Ironhide wince.

"My aftit's 'fine'. That tubing won't hold another year. I'll have to replace that. And your joint caps need some repair."

His intricate arm apparatuses whirled, interchanging tools like a whole army of mechanics and doctors working as one. Bright light from his chest lamps and alien welding tools flashed in Ironhide's torso.

Quite suddenly, Ironhide clenched his fist making a static-like hissing sound of pain as Ratchet removed and replaced a new hose.

"Easy there soldier. Just hold still." he ordered in a stern but calm voice.

Ironhide growled mechanically, an almost chilling sound, but complied as Ratchet repaired his damages.

Annabelle, who was being held by her father, looked concerned, "Ironhide hurt?"

"He's ok Annie. Ironhide is tough." Will assured.

Ratchet nodded with completeness after several minutes of work, "There. That should do it. Get up. See if that feels any better."

With a deep grunt, Ironhide sat up andgot off the table. The Lennox's moved off to the side to give the big mech some room to walk. Casually, he marched around the hanger, making sure to put weight on the left side.

"It doesn't lock up so bad now." Ironhide admitted.

Ratchet gave a pleased nod, "Good. Let's have a look at those cannons next."

The weapons specialist tromped back over the exam table and sat down, readily extending both of his cannons.

"Had any problems with them lately?" Ratchet asked, bathing the massive weapons in a blue scanning light.

Grudgingly, Ironhide raised his right cannon, "Well, this one targets a bit slower than usual."

Ratchet laughed, "Which means it's taking more than a millisecond?"

"The faster, the better." Ironhide replied, giving the rotating cannon bulbs a spin.

"I'll take a look." Ratchet consented, flipping open a small panel behind the cannon on Ironhide's arm. He tinkered around for a few minutes until a small beep sounded.

He pointed to the back exit of the hanger, "All right. Go out back and test them."

That's when Ironhide genuinely smiled, rotating his cannons and cocking them eagerly as he got down from the table. Captain Lennox handed off Annabelle to Sara a moment. He'd seen Ironhide in action during the Mission City battle and despite the bot's obvious bulk he had unbelievable agility to accompany his power. The Captain was very familiar with all kinds of military weaponry, but he just had to watch Ironhide fire off those awesome alien cannons up close.