14. Facing the Inevitable

Let me know what you think! Vote and comment. I want to hear from you!

_____________________________________________________

Percy's P.O.V.

I didn't know what to think. I was being asked which design I wanted on my sister's coffin. I couldn't bring myself to do it, so other campers offered. How was I excepted to just pick?

"Percy?" Piper's voice cut through my daze. I looked up to see her holding Ronan. She waved the Hephaestus kids out, and they immediately obliged.

"I-" I tried to explain, but no words could describe.

"Percy, it's alright." Piper's charmspeak shut me up. She tried to comfort me, sitting down in the chair near to me.

"Piper?"

"Yeah Percy?"

"Can I hold Ronan?" I don't know where that came from. I thought.

"Sure." Piper gently placed him in my arms, "Support his head. He can't hold it himself." I held Ronan in the crook of my arm. He just looked up at me, with his blue eyes. He smiled a toothless grin at me.

"He is adorable." I told her.

"Isn't he?" Piper said lovingly towards Ronan.

"Percy," Piper started, "Do you want me to pick out... the umm..." Piper asked.

"No, I'm ready." Piper went to fetch the Hephaestus kids. I took another look at Ronan. He was gaining weight, his cheeks were rosy, and he was wearing a blue onesie.

The door opened and Piper led the two campers in to sit down.

They were gentle and calmly helped me design, her coffin. Piper then led me out of the Forge and tried to get my mind off of things on a walk. I cradled Ronan who was contently sucking on his pacifier, unaware of the difficult situation that was going on around him.

"You'd be a wonderful father." Piper said quietly.

"Really? How could you know?" I asked absentmindedly.

"Well, you've did amazing with Hesti and Lily and Roman absolutely adore you."

"I've heard having a baby is harder."

"I'll tell you a secret," She said. "It's not hard. Just a lot of not sleeping. At least for you. Mommy will be sore and weak for a little. Then it gets better."

"Maybe one day." Annabeth isn't in any shape for it now.

--------------------------------------------------------

Annabeth's P.O.V.

Thalia and Jason were in cabin three with me. Jason had said he wanted to hang out with us and Thalia was helping me pick out an outfit for...later. Thalia helped me hobble out to show Jason who was sitting on a bunk. It was easier to not use my crutches when I changed so Thalia helped me find an appropriate outfit.

"Wow, that looks nice." Jason commented as stood straight up in front of him.

"Yeah, I think I'll wear this. It's been the most comfortable." The dress was a long, black sheath with straps. The fabric was smooth and breathable, with lace that went just below my bodice where the fabric cut off to an empire waist. The rest of the shadowy sheath was crafted of black chiffon with a smooth non-static underlay, so it would not be see through.

"When is it?" Thalia asked.

"About an hour." Jason checked his watch "Do you want to go down there now?" It took a moment for me to realize that he was speaking to me.

"No." my jaw trembled.

"You don't want to go at all, do you?" Jason tried. I tried to keep my strength, but I just broke down. I cried into my hands. Thalia moved me to a bunk and wrapped her arms around me. She tried rubbing my back, running her fingers through my hair, but nothing worked.

"Annabeth..." She lowered my hands from my face, and I could see her eyes were red and puffy. "Come on." She stood me back up carefully and took me to the bathroom to put on makeup. She patted my face with various brushes and sticks and I just gave in.

"Jason?" She called.

"Yeah?" He chided.

"Can you bring her crutches?" As I opened my eyes, I saw Jason standing there with my crutches. I moved out of the bathroom to give Thalia some room.

I took a seat on one of the bunks and laid on my back. My mind obviously was ignoring my torturous migraine. I couldn't stop thinking. Why hadn't Poseidon mentioned anything to us? He must have known... Even he had to have known. Is that why he came to see her? Underneath my yelling mind, I could hear Thalia and Jason whispering in the bathroom.

It felt strange to be the reason for someone's whispers. Knowing everywhere you went, they were talking about you. I closed my eyes, I just wanted to desperately stop my mind from pounding. A few minutes later, Thalia told me we should leave so I stood up and grabbed my crutches as I walked out of the cabin.

It was a labored walk to the funeral. I was still weak from yesterday, yet I tried to hide it. I had to stop twice to catch my breath and rest. Both times Thalia and Jason waited though I told them not.

When we finally arrived at the funeral, everyone was speaking softly. The sun set slowly and was getting darker as we were there. As the three of us walked, campers parted making a path to the front. Percy stood with Piper, Nico, and Will. All four of them were adorned with black. Ronan and Lily were also in darker clothes. Percy looked my direction and we had a silent understanding pass between us.

"Hey." Percy's voice cracked.

"How are you?" I asked even though I knew the answer, yet he just shook his head.

"You?" He asked, and I did the same. I laid my crutches against a chair that was placed nearby for me. I wrapped my arms around Percy and buried my face in his chest. I didn't want to be here. Percy wrapped me in his arms and gave me a tight hug.

"I love you, Annabeth." Percy whispered in my ear.

"I love you, too, Percy." I turned my head to see Chiron galloping up, but I didn't give up my hold on Percy. Chiron's galloping entrance silenced the quiet voices so we could begin.

_______________________________________________
Let me know what you think and don't forget to vote!

~Kitty