Chapter Forty-Six, Part One

Chapter Forty-Six: Final Chapter, Part One

Because of the darkness surrounding the two souls, the one with a selfish, possessed heart managed to disappear when a couple of heroes cut the chilling conversation off by breaking the door open. Light poured in, illuminating the cold, concrete room. The trembling girl who was shaking in fear was released. The blindfold was dropped, and the beautiful woman that was her biological mother stood there with an older woman whom Alex recognized as the nurse. Of course, it was the nurse that tried to kill Alex but for what reason? Was it really for the money that Harry and his "friends" had robbed?

Alex cried as her arms wrapped around the slim waist of Gretchen Clifford, who was beaming down at her crying daughter. It was surreal that they both survived this tragedy and massacre of innocent people. And it was all caused and started by Alex Parks herself.

The nurse stood there uncomfortably then decided to examine the room with a gun cocked and ready in her hands. She saw handcuffs, whips, and other torturing weapons stored in between the mattresses that Alex previously slept on. There were also some displayed in locked transparent cases.  There were no windows to bring some life in, so it appeared to be a jail cell, excluding the notorious steel bars.

Both Gretchen and Phoebe assured to Alex that it was all over.

But oh how they were dead wrong.

:~:~:~:

Alex's POV 

The next thing I was doing was sneaking out of the facility. I didn't know how my aunt and the stranger knew where the exits and secret rooms were, but they did and we managed to leave without being caught.

We were now sitting in Aunt Gretchen's car, driving to some place far away from here.

"Where are we going now?" I whispered, bringing my knees to my chest and resting my chin on them.

"A safer place... hopefully, no one would find us there," the ex-nurse explained.

"No one asked you," I snapped. I was still angrily confused at the woman. Who wouldn't be?

"I'm sorry for what happened in the past," she apologized, but I couldn't feel any sympathy from her tone. "Yes, I was working for Paul and Bill, but now that they both turned on me and most of their workers, we're rebelling. Though most assigned to the rebellion, which is led by me and your mom-"

"My mom? She's okay?" I gasped. The last time I saw her, she was impossibly pale and skinny. It looked as if someone touched her, she would fall apart like an ancient skeleton artifact.

"She's right-"

"Okay, be quiet now," Aunt Gretchen interrupted the woman, who was shooting accusing looks at her. She just ignored the ex-nurse and kept her eyes on the road.

"Well, anyways," she continued after a couple minutes of awkward silence, "we are trying to get Bill arrested, but he keeps slipping away. I don't know if he's stealthy or the police are just slow and unalert, but he would disappear from jail just hours entered. We don't know his location. He's a psycho. His brother is better than this."

"Wow," was all I could manage to say. Then sometime peculiar appeared.

Our car was in the left lane, first of three lanes, on the freeway, but I saw from the reflection of the tinted windows, that as we merged right to the center lane, a light blue car followed our direction. My paranoia was apparent now. I instructed my aunt to swerve left again when there was a spot available in this mild traffic. Once I felt the push on my body as the car moved to the adjacent lane, I spotted the same car trailing behind us just a couple vehicles back.