XXIV

The first day apart was long. I went to speak to Greystone and came home to type the new manuscript Harry sent to me the previous day. While working at the kitchen table, the doorbell rang and I went to answer it. Instead of finding someone there, a single rose and a note lay upon the step. The simple words 'My Belle' was written and the rose smelled delicious.

The second day I spoke to Miles, who told me I'm overreacting and that Harry's the best thing to ever happen to me. It touched me in a way that stung my heart, knowing I'm doing this to Harry. When walking home, I came to the door and another rose rested on the step. The note tagged to the side was slightly longer, but still held meaning: 'You're my only thought. H.'

The third day was when I finally broke down. Harry had left another flower on my doorstep in the morning and another note accompanied this one.

My beautiful Reagan-

You are the reason I'm trying to understand the emotions I'm feeling. I miss you tremendously, Reagan, and I want you here with me.

Yours- H.

It's been this way for the fourth and the fifth day as well. He always leaves little notes with roses and it kills me to read them. It's making me realize that my emotions are far more advanced than I had previously assumed. I'm falling for him. And I'm falling hard.

The sixth day is today. It's Friday and I lay on my bed, scrolling through the e-mails I've procrastinated in answering. At nine, a knock is heard at the door and I stand, rushing to the door.

"Reagan Albright?" a man asks, my head nodding.

"These are for you," he smiles, handing me a box. I thank him and shut the door behind me, Grace walking into the room.

"Oo, what's that?" she smiles, my shoulders shrugging. I set the box on the kitchen table and open it, a dozen roses in a bouquet resting in the cardboard.

"Oh my gosh," I say, pushing my glasses further up my nose. He's trying so hard and I appreciate it. All I needed was reassurance for the future. I need to see him.

"Wait, there's a note."

She hands me the envelope and I open it, two separate pieces of paper in the confines.

My Reagan-

This event is tonight. I wasn't aware of it until short notice but I ask of you to go. It's just down the street at the hall. Please come. I'll be there.

Forever yours- H

Switching the pieces of paper, I read an invitation for a banquet for the business industry. It's a masquerade and I'm supposed to wear black or white, complimented by a mask.

"I'm helping you get ready," she says, my eyes meeting hers. I nod and I take a moment before making breakfast for us.

"How do you think your break worked out?" she asks, my head shaking.

"It's not ideal. I miss him too much but I feel like we needed it. Relationships can't be where we're together 24/7; we need balance. There's a part of me that found this utterly stupid but the other said it was necessary."

She takes a bite of her muffin and nods. "I think you needed it. I mean, with Ian and everything. You were inseparable and clung to each other. You need space every once in a while."

After Grace's wise words, we watch our morning Netflix episode and go out for lunch. We stop in a party store to look at masks and we find a black one to cover the area around my eyes. It's beautiful.

I feel nervous all of a sudden; every curl Grace does to my hair feeling as though it takes an hour each. Harry is a beautiful man and I miss him tremendously.