•Day 59• Cassandra

Start from the beginning

"Do we tell Will?" Thea asked.

"No, of course not!" Veronica said, and I could almost imagine her giving Thea that look that made people feel stupid in her presence. I knew that look would no doubt cause even someone as intelligent as Thea to feel like she'd lost a few brain cells. It definitely had that effect on me when the two of us were friends.

"Why's that?" Thea questioned, and I knew Veronica was rolling her eyes. She was rather predictable that way. Board her train of thought immediately, or wait at the station of eye-rolls, exasperated sighs and a steady stream of curses. It was no joke that everyone was intimidated by her. Everyone, that is, except for Brynn, who'd showed up one day in the halls threatening to spill Veronica's secret if she didn't stay in her place. 

Maybe this was it, I wondered. Veronica's revenge plan on Brynn.

"Well, if we tell Will, he'll scream at Brynn for writing those letters because he's so goddamn protective of Daisy-and rightfully so. That girl has gone through enough trouble. And then Draven would come charging out of nowhere at Brynn's rescue and all hell will break loose," Veronica said steadily, and it took all my effort to stifle a gasp.

Brynn had written the letters to Daisy. Those taunting, awful letters that sent the poor little girl in tears on more than one instance. I couldn't even stomach the thought. Essentially, it meant that Holly had sent the letter to herself. 

"True. We just need to focus on breaking up Draven and Brynn for today," Thea said determinedly.

Another stifled gasp. It was getting harder and harder to listen as the minutes passed without a large, audible reaction.

Break up Draven and Brynn? Why would they want to do that? I knew that I didn't come off as much of a sucker for love-okay, perhaps that was an understatement- and I also knew that I could be a preacher of how relationships were a huge distraction from the more important things in life, but this was Draven. Although I'd lost all feelings for him romantically, he'd once played a very vital role in my life. He was my first love, after all. I still cared about him.

I'd never seen him happier. He'd finally found a girl just as driven and passionate about theatre as he was. I'd seen them make absolute fools of themselves in the hallways several times, by reciting lines from various Shakespearean plays and insulting each other in Old English. It was honestly quite amusing to watch.

Deep down, I knew that I wasn't his first love, though. It was Brynn.

And perhaps that's what led me to do what I did next.

I tiptoed out of the locker room as quietly as possible, careful not to tip them off that I'd overheard their conversation. When I'd made it safely back to the corridor, I plugged in my earphones and unmuted Jai.

"I'm sorry,"I mumbled, while I walked towards the parking lot. Will, Ted, Ava and Holly always hung out there during lunch. We still had fifteen minutes of break left, so I had to make it quick.

"What happened?" Jai asked, sounding annoyed.

"Some stuff," I muttered distractedly. I could see that he was trying his best not to rage at me.

"Would you like to tell me what this "stuff" is?" He asked, drawing the quotations with his hands. God, he was so extra sometimes. It was oddly endearing.

"Jai, I love you, but I'm kind of in a hurry right now," I said, trying to sound apologetic, but instead sounding snappy and offhand.

"Cassie, when are you not?" He asked, making me halt in my tracks.