•Day 15• Ted

"Thanks for coming, Thea

"Thanks for coming, Thea." I smiled when I saw her coming through the door. I didn't think she'd actually make it. My partner at the bookstore, Flora, was taking off because her mother was in the hospital. My manager hadn't found a replacement for her yet, and wasn't planning on one because he believed Flora would return back to work as soon as her mother was okay. I didn't think so, though. It looked like things were pretty rough at her house, so the chances of her coming back in the span of the next two weeks was unlikely. Until then, I was stuck working shifts by myself in this lonely bookstore with the company of the books alone. So, I asked Thea to help me out just for the day as a new shipment of books had arrived and were waiting to be sorted. According to me, that was not a one man's task.

"It's the least I can do,"she shrugged. "While you're working this hard every day, I barely babysit once a week. It's not fair." She bent over to pick up some more books from the crate and I resumed my work of placing them on the shelves.

"Are you and Ralph okay now?"I asked gently, attempting to make conversation. She turned to face me. "It's worse now, if you ask me. Stacy and Ace finally broke up, so that means it's his chance to make a move,"she faked a little laugh. "Besides, I think Ralph and Stacy would be good for each other. She's a nice girl and Ralph genuinely cares about her. I don't want to be the one to come in between a good love story."

She sounded utterly heartbroken. I wanted to reach out and give her a hug, but knew that wasn't what she wanted. She didn't want pity. That's why she didn't tell anyone else about it. She just needed someone to talk to., and I was going to be there when the time was right.

"How's it with you and Elody? I asked, knowing there was nothing more she wanted than a change of topic. "Same as it's always been,"she said, busying herself in sorting through the books., not even sparing me a glance.

"But what about Will? Do you think he has a chance with this whole Mirror, Mirror idea of his?"I asked, truly concerned for my friend. I hoped Thea thought he had a shot at this. She was usually right about everything; if she thought he didn't stand a chance, he most probably didn't stand a chance.

"Honestly, I think he's doing well. Elody likes him, I can tell. Any time one of us mentions him she lights up like a sky full of stars. I don't want to ask her about it because I know she'll shy away. She'll start denying the whole thing to us as well as herself. She'll start avoiding him. Everything will go downhill."

I nodded, understanding what she was getting at. But Elody wasn't the one I was afraid of. I knew she would fall for him from the start. She was the split that was most like Holly. She was dedicated, a hopeless romantic and had a huge heart. Not that the others didn't, but they surely weren't comparatively normal. Alora and Daisy were both two extremes. Daisy was too cheerful and peppy, and Alora was too pessimistic. Daisy was like Ashley and Alora was like Ava. Elody was in between, like Riley.

"What about you and Ava? You never talk to me about what's going on! How was the first date?"Thea asked excitedly, setting the books in her hands down on the table. I couldn't help but smile at the mention of Ava.

"The date was amazing. I found out so many things about Ava that I never knew before. Did you know that she played the violin? I had no idea. She even told me she'd play for me sometime!" I grinned. Thea laughed. "Are you listening to yourself right now? Gosh, you're so hopelessly in love."

"Love? I wouldn't go that far,"I chuckled nervously. Thea rolled her eyes. "Oh, who are you kidding?"

I punched her arm. "I don't know if love is the right word for what I feel at the moment. I don't know if it's love yet."

Thea scoffed. "I don't even know what you're waiting for. Anyway, why don't you call her over right now? It's about time I gave her my protective twin sister speech. Plus, we could really use another set of hands."

I bit down on my lip. "See, about that......" I trailed off uncertainly, not knowing her best to phrase my predicament. Thea crossed her arms over her chest, waiting.

"So.... Ava might not exactly know that I work at the bookstore?" I laughed nervously. Thea didn't look in the least amused. "You didn't tell her?! What's wrong with you?" she asked incredulously. I waited for her to go on one of her usual rants, but she didn't. She wasn't angry this time, just disappointed.

"What is it, Ted? Are you ashamed of our family? That we're not as rich as your other friends?" she wasn't waiting for an answer. "Well guess what. Dad died. It's time we got over it and accepted who we are because nothing we do is ever going to change that." She was crying now, and I knew it wouldn't be long before I'd start breaking down as well.

"Mom struggled with the hospital bills. Her job wasn't paying enough. We lost money. Let's face it!" she said, and I reached in to give her a hug. She cried into my shoulder and by the tears were streaming down my face as well.

"I miss him so much, Thee,"I whispered, and she pulled me in closer. "Sometimes I don't want to tell anyone about our financial problems because I'll get reminded of him and want to cry all over again."

Thea wiped her eyes. "I know how that feels. But when you're honest with people, it becomes easier. Ava's opened up to you more than she's opened up to anyone else. If she finds out that you've been lying to her all along you'll hurt her more than anything."

I nodded, pulling away from her embrace. "You're right. Next chance I get, I'll tell her."

If only I'd stuck to my words.

A/N Now you know more about Ted. Yay! Tell me if you liked this chapter!

Thanks!

~Via