•Day 18• Elody

I was sick

I was sick. I had a terrible fever and I could barely get up to grab myself a glass of water without feeling faint and dizzy. Dad told me I should just go take some rest, but I'd had my fair share of sleeping for the day. I just wanted to curl up with a good book and get lost in a world that wasn't as terrible as my current one. 

In simple words, I was having a very, very bad day. 

"Do you want me to make you some soup, Els?" Dad asked with a sympathetic smile on his face. I shrugged. I didn't want to act impossible for him to deal with, but I couldn't help myself. He had to put up with a grumpy Elody once in a while, it was part of the daughter package. 

"Why don't you go back to sleep? I'll wake you when the soup is ready."

On a normal day, sleep would've been blissful. But today I wanted nothing more than to be able to go to Riley's house and play some old music. Or take a walk in the park. Or even better, read a book. 

Unfortunately for me, only the day before I had finished reading the last book my dad had bought me to keep me busy for that month. It was a collection of ten books, but I'd read them rather slowly so that I could keep myself entertained for longer. 

"But I don't want to sleep,"I whined. Dad sighed. "I'm sorry, kiddo. There's really nothing else you can do."

"Can I buy a book?" I asked hopefully. I knew the answer was going to be a no, considering my current situation, but Dad mulled over it for a few seconds. 

"Well, the bookstore is only a five minute walk from here, and people usually say it's a good idea to get a breath of fresh air when you're sick...."he thought aloud. 

Honestly, he had no idea how sick I felt. I didn't even know why I was asking him if I could go when I could barely lift myself off the bed. However, I was willing to sacrifice a lot of things for a book.

"If you're feeling okay, then go ahead, but I want you to come straight back. You're still not better, Young Lady."

I wanted to laugh. I was feeling just the opposite of okay. Still, I dragged myself off the bed with a smile on my face to prove to Dad how 'effortless' it was. Slinging a long coat over my shoulders and wrapping it tightly over myself, I waved goodbye to my father and started walking in the direction of the bookstore. 

Suddenly, my phone rang in my pocket, and Ed Sheeran's 'Photograph' played softly through the streets. I smiled, not wanting to pick up the phone simply so that I could hear the song for longer. Finally, I gave up my desire to listen to the song right before the call got cut, and answered. 

"How are you holding up?"Riley asked, and I immediately wanted to rush over to her house and give her a hug for caring so much. 

"Not so good, yet here I am walking to the bookstore to entertain myself,"I answered back with a smile. I wished she could see how happy she was making me right then, just because of that phone call.