•Day 21• Daisy

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY AVA!" I screamed, as I opened the door for my best friend

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY AVA!" I screamed, as I opened the door for my best friend. She laughed and hugged me when she walked in through the door. Dad called us into the kitchen, where he made some of his famous blueberry cheesecake that we loved to death. I tried helping him from time to time, but being the clumsy girl I am, I almost managed to entirely ruin the cake, at which my dad said he was better off without my help. If I ever had to cook on my own, there was no way I could do it without burning the whole house down.

Ava's mouth dropped open in excitement. "Blueberry cheesecake?"she whispered, disbelievingly. Dad nodded cheerfully. I loved how happy this was making her. Her happiness was contagious; Dad and I were both smiling ear to ear seeing her expression morph into one of pure joy.

This was tradition in our house. Dad baked cakes for everyone's birthday, but the blueberry cheesecake was reserved for only two special times a year- my birthday, and Ava's. It was no surprise that we were going to make her one, yet she still looked like she'd received the biggest shock of her life. It was almost comical how happy she looked. She really did love those cheesecakes!

"You didn't have to!"Ava said, trying to play the part of the polite, innocent one. Dad and I both knew she wasn't fooling anyone. "Cut out the act and grab a spoon, will you?" I teased, and Dad chuckled while Ava pulled a face. She tossed us a spoon each from the drawer and we set to work, eating large mouthfuls of the cheesecake. We were probably the most uncivilized people on the planet, but we didn't care in the least. I knew that moments like this were the ones I'd treasure forever.

"My girl Ava's grown so much!" Granddad's voice boomed from the hallway as he wheeled himself in. Ava smiled warmly and swooped in to give Granddad a hug. Ava wasn't the touchy-feely type of girl at all; physical contact made her nervous. But with my family, she was so comfortable that anyone could've mistaken her for my sister. "I remember the day Daisy introduced you to us,"Granddad smiled wistfully and Ava slowly put another mouthful of cake into her mouth, waiting for him to continue.

"You were so little! Ah, but I knew from that moment that Holly had truly found a friend,"he said, then coughed. "Er, Daisy, I mean."

Dad started to look a slight bit uncomfortable, but Ava looked unfazed. "You speak of it as if it were years and years ago! Really, I wasn't that little,"Ava laughs. I join in.

"It feels like we've been friends for centuries, you know? But it's actually only been two years. I find that so fascinating,"I said, thinking hard on it.

Ava smiled and gave me a hug. "What I do know for sure is that we're going to increase that number by far."

. . . . . . . . .

An hour later it was time for Ava to leave on her date with Ted. I'd finished making the crochet afghan right in time to give it to Ava as her birthday present, and she adored it. She even decided to wear it on her date!