•Day 27• Will

She's my best friend

She's my best friend. I love her, but I'm not in love with her. 

That day, we both needed a rebound. She'd been heartbroken over Ralph and me, over Alora. We needed comfort, and we found it in each other. 

I knew it was a mistake the moment it happened, but neither of us wanted it to stop. We both knew it wasn't going anywhere and that it was all in the spur of a moment. It needed no explanation and no awkward conversation following it. We forgot about it. It was a mistake not worth mentioning. 

The guilt washed over me like cold water waking me up from a deep slumber. It shook me. It gripped at my heart. I couldn't stop beating myself up for what I had done. I deserved all the hate. What I'd done to Holly would always be a scar in a perfect relationship.

Once I told her, it would make a hole in our otherwise bump-free road. We'd always thought we were that type of couple that never made stupid mistakes. We were always extra cautious about breaking our already fragile relationship, owing to Holly's disorder. We needed to make sure that every step we took was the right one. Now, however, I'd ruined all of that.

I wasn't going to say that I wasn't terribly disappointed in myself, however. It was a complete violation of trust and I'd done it behind Holly's back. The Holly that I was in love with. 

I also wasn't going to justify myself because what I did was wrong and that was that. I knew I couldn't tell Holly right away, what with everything finally falling into place with her sister. She needed to be happy for a while. I would tell her, eventually. 

Thea was my best friend, but so was Holly. Holly was my best friend, my love and my forever. We didn't keep secrets from each other. Keeping this from her would not only break her, but me too. I would tell her when the time was right. 

. . . . .

"What book is that?" I watched Elody with interest as she playing with the loose strands of her blonde hair, her head hidden in her book. She didn't respond, so I tapped her shoulder. She moved suddenly, as if my touch had snapped her back to the real world. Her eyes shone with excitement as she proceeded to tell me about the story. She held her book up for me to read the title, which said 'Will You Remember Me?'.

"It's about a woman named Poppy. She finally gets the life she's always wanted, having married her childhood sweetheart and being the mother of two lovely children. Everything is perfect, until the cancer bomb is dropped upon her family. She is diagnosed with an incurable type of breast cancer and is told that she doesn't have much time left."

I was initially pretending to be interested just in order to get close to her, but I was starting to genuinely enjoy the bittersweet plot Elody was telling me. 

"Can I please, please, please spoil something for you? You're not going to read the book, are you?"

I shook my head, knowing full well that me and reading were two things that did not go together.