•Day 1• Will

❝Just the thought of being with you tomorrow is enough to get me through today

❝Just the thought of being with you tomorrow is enough to get me through today. ❞
• • •

For any other kid at school, it was just another Wednesday. The mid-week day. Right in the middle. It was normal. But mine was far from normal because that was the day I'd been told there was a chance of losing Holly. The doctors and her therapist, especially, told me there was a high chance that one day, because of the stress on her mind to remember who she was and the amount of detailing she had to do when it came to her split personalities, she would lose her memory completely.

From the moment they told me that, I knew that my goal was to make sure that every day I had Holly beside me, I would try to make her smile. She meant everything to me, and if there was even a slight chance of her forgetting me forever, I was going to make every last moment with her something that I could cherish for a lifetime.

"Hey, Will." Ava's face broke into a smile when she saw me. I smiled and gave her a little wave. Seeing that Holly wasn't with her, I sensed it was probably one of her split days. Either Alora or Daisy. I placed my bets on the latter because normally Daisy put Ava in a slightly more positive mood.
Well, as positive as Ava could possibly get, that is.
"Daisy." She said, confirming my suspicions. I mouthed an 'oh' and kept my gaze on the floor, retreating to my own thoughts as Ava pulled her books out of her locker. She started to talk about something, but I may have accidentally tuned out somewhere in the middle.

Holly was the reason Ava and I became so close. Before, she was just another girl I smiled at in the hallways, to which she always responded with a slight nod of her head. We talked on a few occasions, mainly about exams and gossiping about teachers. You know, the usual. But when she and Holly became best friends, I was definitely not the only one who was surprised.

In fact, she got so close to Holly that she'd managed to become best friends with Daisy and Alora- her split personalities- as well. Eventually, we got closer, our love for Holly being the glue that held us together.

".......so yesterday got pretty wild. I mean, Eve is just a pain! Can she not be a little more considerate towards her sister? Like, I get it, okay, she's a handful sometimes. But it's not like she does anything to help out! She just stands on the outside and judges, like what the-"

"Ava, I can't do this anymore."

Ava's head swivelled in my direction and my words hit her harder than she would've liked to let on. "What?" She snapped, her jet black eyes widening in surprise. A few seconds passed and I was too stunned by her reaction to speak. "Can't do what?" She whispered, her gaze softening just the slightest bit.

I realized what that might have sounded like to her and quickly gave her a hug. She'd just lost one of her best friends to depression and I knew she took the topic seriously to heart. "Oh, Ava. I didn't mean it that way. I just meant with Holly.... Can we talk, please?"

If she looked startled before, now it was a whole other level. "With Holly? What?! I thought you guys were fine! What's wrong?"
I raised my arms up in defence. "Okay, calm down. Calm down. Calm down." I spoke slowly, trying to get her to relax. She looked like she was going to explode from emotional turmoil. I couldn't blame her, though. Yesterday Holly's sister Eve had come home to visit and apparently things had gone even more downhill than usual. Anywhere Eve was involved, nothing went right.

"Nothing is wrong with me and Holly. We're good. I just need someone to listen to me right now. This isn't easy for me either and I just wanted to talk to someone I knew would understand. Please?"

She gave me an apologetic smile and another small hug. "Aw, Will. I'm so sorry I overreacted. It's just, Eve-"

"It's okay, I know. Don't worry about it." She half-smiled and urged me to continue with what I was saying. I nodded and bit down on my lip, unsure where to start.

"Okay, here's the thing. This freaking hurts. I can't stand to come to school some days and not have my girlfriend even recognize me. I love Holly so much it hurts, Ava, and I can't stand not being with her all the time. I can't stand looking at her and knowing that she doesn't even remember me on some days. It hurts me so much, every day we're apart."

Ava looked like she wanted to cringe at my sappiness, but she managed to keep a straight face throughout the whole rant. To my surprise, she didn't even sound sarcastic when she said,"I don't even know how you manage to pull through."

I looked at her like she was a specimen from another planet. "Ava, since when did you have feelings?"

She scoffed. "Come on, I'm not that bad. And anyway... I'm serious. It was one thing for me to befriend all of her personalities, but asking each of them out in different ways to appeal to their completely different interests? That's another case altogether. It's like dating four women at once!"

I nodded, glad she understood. "Right? But the thing is, I can't give up on Holly. I love her. She's my best friend and my girlfriend. Losing her would be like losing everything."
This time, she actually cringed.

"Okay, if I help you out will you cut out the sappy talk?"

I nodded my head eagerly, hoping she'd come up with one of her famous 'Ava Strategies' that always seemed to work. She didn't have a love life of her own, so she pretty much made it her life's purpose to set up other couples.

"Here, the idea's pretty straightforward. We'll come up with different ways to figure out how you can ask out your girlfriend."

I almost laughed at the irony. "You're kidding, right?" I said, although I knew she wasn't. Ava hardly ever joked.

"If you love Holly, you need to love all of her. Do you understand me? And that means all of her. Daisy, Elody and Alora. If she means that much to you, that shouldn't be a problem."

I didn't even hesitate before nodding my head enthusiastically. "But how?" I asked, knowing that had been the real question all along.

She flashed me a smile. "Well, obviously every woman falls in different ways. I never thought I'd say this, but I think it's time we figured out the best ways to manipulate a girl to fall in love with you."

That's my friend Ava for y'all.
I matched her smile. "Let's do this then."

• • •
A/N The first chapter is out! I'm shaking so much right now- I hope you guys like reading this as much as I loved writing it!

Thank you so much fireking19 for the gif at the top of the chapter ❤

Let me know in the comments if you like the story so far❤