•Day 42• Elody

❝Trust is built in drops and lost in buckets

❝Trust is built in drops and lost in buckets.❞
~Kevin Plank
• • •

People come into your life like new books waiting to be opened. You catch a whiff of their scent, you discover word by word of their stories.

Eventually, there will come a time when you become inseparable. You're hooked onto their little quirks and hidden mysteries. You're latched onto their plot.

But then there will come a moment when you reach your climax: a fight scene, a betrayal, a week of silence, a plot twist.

And finally, it's over.
Your friendship.
Your story.
The words you etched into each other's hearts.

There is no such thing as a happy ending when it comes to these stories.
For in the story of friendship, there never should come an ending.

I pressed publish, not thinking twice about it. I knew that if I contemplated too hard, I'd let insecurity overtake me and stop me from putting up the poem.

I knew it wasn't my best, but it helped me vent out my feelings, and that's what I loved most about it. I had a personal connection to this particular poem because it shed light on my situation with Ashley.

I guess that's why I kept her around. It's because I believed there was no such things as endings in friendship. If you ever loved each other, you can't let it go. Love can never truly die. It just loses its magic slowly over time. Fights and betrayals are just catalysts of the reaction.

A few years ago, Ashley and I were almost as close as Riley and I were. We used to sing together all the time. She'd take melody and I'd sing the harmonies. She still had Stacy and I still had Riley, but it was clear we were great together.

All that changed when Austin came into the picture. It wasn't Ashley's fault. She didn't know he was with me at the time. In fact, no one knew but Riley and the rest of our band. I wasn't in touch with the others anymore, apart from my cousin Adam who came to visit once in a while. He had a crush on Riley for the longest time, but her being the queen of obliviousness, never knew. I hoped that Adam would come to visit sometime and finally admit his feelings for Riley. I shipped those two hardcore.

Anyway, back to Ashley: it wasn't her fault. I knew that. But I couldn't help but still dislike her for it. It was a feeling I wasn't able to describe. It was entirely Austin's fault, but then again, Ashley did know that I liked Austin. So what if she didn't know things had escalated between us? She still knew she was hurting me and she did it anyway. 

She apologized even before I confronted her, which was one thing I had to give her credit for. After I told her the full story and how we were dating, her guilt was immeasurable. She and I both knew our friendship wouldn't last. 

She tried several times to get things to normal between us, but her attempts were futile. I wouldn't budge. She hurt me and I wasn't going to add salt to the wound by letting myself go back down those roads. With either of them.