•Day 59• Draven

Start from the beginning

"No, listen to me," she said authoritatively. She was willing to challenge me. I liked that about her. Cassandra was like that too.

"I don't think that kiss was a mistake. I think leaving early, however, was," she said. She sounded shy, nervous- so unlike herself that for a second I was worried that I'd approached the wrong alter.

"Is this your way of professing your undying love for me, Mills?" I smirked, and she quickly replaced her nervous facade with her easygoing, cocky grin.

"Away, you three-inch fool!" she ordered. 

"Good night, good night! parting is such sweet sorrow, that I shall say good night till it be morrow," I chirped. I could still hear her laughter behind me as I walked down the halls with a new mission at the top of my agenda: find Veronica and call off the bet.

I knew I had a lot at stake; I could lose my reputation and my respect from the drama club. However, it was a meagre sacrifice in comparison to what I could gain. 

Again, there was a lot that could go wrong. Knowing Veronica, she would no doubt wreck my plans with Brynn anyway by showing her the voice recording of our conversation. She was evil like that. Brynn had to have had some dirt on Veronica, else she wouldn't have gone to such lengths to get back at her. After calling off the bet, I had to make sure to get to Brynn before Veronica to explain myself. So long as I put my feelings and my secrets out in the open, Brynn would be on my side. Together, we could easily take on Veronica.

I surveyed the corridor for her flaming red hair, until finally, my eyes settled on her figure leaning against the wall, scrolling through her phone absentmindedly.

"I'm calling it off," I said plainly, staring her down.

"Hmm?" She gazed up from her phone tiredly.

"The bet. It's over," I shrugged. When she showed no interest, I turned to walk away. Suddenly, she spoke. "I knew this would happen. I didn't buy any of your 'love is bullshit' crap for even a second. It was clear you loved her even before you took on the bet, so God knows why you agreed to do it anyway."

"You know exactly why I agreed to do it," I said, recalling her threat to tell everyone the secret I'd kept locked up for so long. 

"Lucky for me, I'm one step ahead of you," she said, giving me a sickly sweet smile. She opened up the voice recording on her phone and brought it close for me to see. 

"I'm two steps ahead of you," I retorted, pacing back two steps for emphasis. "Because I don't care what information you hold against me. In fact," I looked around the sea of students scrambling to get to their next classes, then cleared my throat. "Can I have your attention, please? I said loudly, addressing the corridor. Several students peered at me in curiosity, including Brynn. "It's the last week of school, so I figured I have nothing to lose. I have a confession to make." People drew in closer, enveloping me in a loose circle of sorts.

"I am the son of Mr. Todd and Miss Violet." There were a number of audible gasps. I couldn't help but grin.

"You're kidding," Brynn choked, bursting into laughter. I smiled. I was expecting that reaction from her. It was the rest of the drama club that I feared. 

The rumour mill had conjured up a number of possible reasons as to why I had been cast male lead for every single one of the school's plays; everyone else had caught the flu the day of the auditions, I'd bribed the school, I'd flirted with the director, to name a few. It was rarely considered that I'd gotten in through merit, irrespective of how well-versed I was with my lines or how charismatic I was on stage. None of it mattered. When people were envious, they'd go through all the trouble they could to make you feel like you didn't deserve to be where you were.