98 ∞ negotiations

Start from the beginning

"Nay, that is all we shall need. Every thing else we can produce on our own, given enough time." Mickmi looked around the table before continuing. "Now, about your conditions. Speak."

Gray felt tempted to say he didn't have conditions, that he would provide anything needed freely. But the powerful people behind him would never go for it. He needed leverage to grease the cogs. "Well, there is something we desperately need. We'll be happy to assist in anything you need. In return, my employers would only request your help with knowledge and technology."

Mickmi's nod was barely noticeable. "Doctor Kruger, what is your opinion of the holoprojector I used for my presentation?"

"It's a wonderful device." Kruger's eyes shone. "Very ingenious and useful."

"Consider you it more advanced than your own devices?"

"Without a doubt. It's at least twenty generations beyond anything we can do right now."

Mickmi returned to Gray. "There is your answer. We can provide you with technology advanced enough to give your country a... considerable competitive edge over other nations."

That was exactly the kind of thing The Board wanted to hear. Gray paused in mid-nod at Mickmi's intense stare.

"As long as it is – not – something," she measured her words, "you can convert to mass-destruction weapons, or a technology too far in advance of your own timeline... we can provide."

"Of course." Gray wasn't concerned about those minor details.

"Excuse me, Miroshka," Bogdanov said, "but isn't the holoprojector too advanced already?"

"Nay, it is something you will be able to create within seventy years. For us, it is very old. A bulky, slow, archaic device."

Bogdanov and Kruger exchanged eager glances.

"Can you answer a few questions of a scientific nature?" Kruger asked and checked Gray who shrugged his shoulders.

She smiled. "Of course. As long as I can."

"Have your people mastered interstellar travel?" 

"We have not abandoned the Sol System yet. We are not allowed." 

Gray caught her meaningful glance as he sipped from his mug of black coffee. He knew exactly what she meant. Few people would be in the position to know that.

"Why... how..." Bogdanov hummed in bewilderment. "Sorry, I mean, who doesn't allow you out of the Solar System?" 

"Our Galactic Confederation. We are not considered stable enough, peaceful enough, consciously elevated enough, to be welcomed. Not yet. We are close... but not there yet."

This declaration brought a dense silence over them. Nobody was willing to speak for a long while. Finally, Mickmi spoke again.

"I would like to prevent your civilization from making the same mistakes we did. Unfortunately, I see you already started on the same path we did... so long ago."

"Be that as it might be," Bogdanov's expression was sorrowful, "there's not much we can do to change our society's course—regretfully."