78 ∞ no fear

Day Eighteen ∞ Monday

TWO FIRE UNITS ARRIVED to find furious flames devouring only two-thirds of the structure. Firemen rushed to save the office section, hosing down the boundary that appeared to keep the fire at bay. For an instant, the streams dispersed into a network of threads, then dissolved. Water sizzled as it made its targets, rising in clouds of smokey steam.

Nobody noticed the shimmer hovering for a few seconds over the parking area before it faded.

By the time dawn brightened the sky, the cooling down operation had reduced to patches of smoldering and a pile of tires spouting black smoke.

A policeman waved down the estate wagon as it rolled to a stop.

"This area is out of bounds, sir."

Aaron stuck out his head. "That's our garage!"

"Park over there." The officer pointed.

"Twenty-eight years...," Mr. Myers said, his voice rusty.

"That long?" Nathan asked from the backseat.

Aaron parked in the empty lot facing the activity surrounding the remains of their livelihood. For a while, the four sat in heavy silence, staring in disbelief. Then he glanced at Mr. Myers.

It was as if all the air had left his father. He'd never seen him look so old and tired.

He reached over to his father's shoulder.

"We'll be okay. We'll get through this," trying to sound more cheerful than he felt. He squeezed again.

Mr. Myers barely moved his head.

"Nathe, stay with Dad. Jason?"

Jason and Aaron walked across the road but halted when they saw exactly what was left of the auto shop.

Sheets of corrugated steel collapsed on and around the sedan Ray had started working on, a shell burned beyond recognition. Several pieces of charred machinery. Rubble everywhere. A few blackened columns and parts of a wall still standing.

The front of the container and cinderblock office and shop appeared untouched. What about the stockroom extension at the rear containing all the new inventory?

"I've got to tell Dad," Jason said.

Aaron nodded and walked to the cop.

"Who's in charge?" he asked.

"Sergeant Eldon over there. Keep to the road."

The sergeant was watching the scene as he leaned against his vehicle, smoking.

"Son, how's your old man holding up?" he said as he saw Aaron approaching.

Aaron shook his head. "He's taking it hard, man. Do you know how it started?"

"We haven't started investigation yet. But... it is all pointing to arson."

"What?" Aaron stared at him.

"I'm afraid so. But consider yourselves lucky." Eldon nodded toward the shop.

Aaron looked. Now he could see the rear of the shop, and he sighed in relief. It appeared intact.

The fire chief walked over to them, lifting off his helmet to wipe his brow. "We've never seen anything like it." He nodded at Aaron. "With that explosion, everything should've gone to smithereens. I can't explain why the building is still standing."