88 ∞ agreements

Day Nineteen ∞ Early Tuesday morning

"WHEN I LAST SAW HER? At the Summer Spectacular with Danny. It was obvious that they'd become a couple. Though Danny seemed a bit... off... about something."

"Off?" O'Malley asked, watching the doctor closely. "In what manner?"

"Like something was troubling him. I may be wrong but... I think she was too. Like they were hiding something." A puzzled frown crossed Phil's face. Then he shrugged. "I don't know... I wasn't paying that much attention—we were there to enjoy ourselves, Georgina and I."

It's still here. O'Malley recognized the symptoms of the interference now, though they had become more subtle as if it had refined its skills. He'd already gathered from Georgina's responses in this round of questioning that an anomaly had occurred at the event and memories of it were being blocked. Had this been a normal investigation, O'Malley would have brought in a specialist in hypnotic regression to dig them up. But nothing about this was normal, and that wasn't his purpose here. At least the stories from the three subjects consistently lacked conscious knowledge of the alien factor.

Time to make the final report. The thought triggered a wave of adrenaline, sweat forming at his hairline.

"Thank you for your time, Doctor Roberts. I think we've got what we need." He pulled out a form from the folder and slid it across the table with his pen. "Since this is a highly classified ongoing investigation, I must ask you to sign an NDA form. Under no circumstances are you to discuss anything that has transpired in the past twenty-four hours with anyone. Not even with each other. That includes how you were brought here."

"Non-disclosure?" Phil snorted. "After all your people put us through? We should sue you people for illegal arrest."

"Once again, you have my sincere apologies for that mistake. However, the NDA is a requirement by our department for you to be released. Any indiscretion will be construed as interfering an ongoing investigation and obstruction of justice. Do you understand?"

O'Malley waited for Phil to stop glaring. As Phil pointedly read every word on the page, O'Malley cast his gaze around the room again. He had to get out of this trap without risking his sister's family. What were the chances of getting this Aumega ghost to help him? If he could communicate with it without alerting his captors...

It manipulates memories and thoughts, and it spoke inside my mind... It must be able to hear me think.

He drew a long, quiet breath. —Can you hear me? He waited. Aumega?

Nothing. But that wasn't its name, it was...

Blanc Aave?

You seek me... I am here.

O'Malley exhaled slowly. He didn't feel it but it had spoken inside his mind the same way he'd heard it when it first invaded the HQ. —I know you're preventing these civilians from exposing anything serious about your compatriot. I assume you're also keeping tabs on the observer in the control room. You're protecting these people. I want to protect them too. Will you help me?

I have done what is needed.

Yes, but... O'Malley needed to choose his thoughts carefully. What I'm asking... I don't work with these men. As soon as I've made my report, which should lead to the release of your civilian friends, they'll probably get orders to dispose of me. I'm only here because they threatened my sister's family. All I want is to protect them and lay low until the operation is over. Will you help me?