55 ∞ taking risks

Note: This chapter contains a scene which may be disturbing. [PG-13]

Day Fourteen ∞ Thursday

DEYMOS. STATUS?

—Shield at maximum flexible temperature and density.

Selina turned her head slowly as she listened to the strategically located gunships. Both of them had a set of weapons on each flank. Her quick probe identified them as an M60 machine gun with 7.62-millimeter full metal jacket rounds, a 50-caliber machine gun, and an Mk-40 missile launcher with seven Mk-4 folding-fin aerial rockets each. 

They were fearsome weapons, yet their descriptions meant nothing to her. They meant something to Apocalypse, but he stood there with no fear. She knew he would see his mission through to his last breath—for the security of his country, the United States of America. He was waging a war against her and threatening a war against her charges for reasons that did not exist.

She heard crackling from Apocalypse's earpiece as a voice came through: "Chaos One to Apocalypseare we cleared hot? Over."

Apocalypse's forehead was glistening with perspiration as he walked a few steps closer to the vessel and touched the earpiece. "Affirm... Light 'em the fuck up," he said, his teeth bared. He remained standing as his two remaining operatives crouched, prepared to cover their heads.

Immediately, Selina increased her frequency and the overhead smattering became a droning, dual heartthrob accompanying her multi-pointed focus. The LAV was first to eject a thundering thump, then another, then a third in quick succession. The first sharp, bullet-like round reached halfway to the hangar before the two gunships fired their first rockets. Fire drove the long missiles out of smoke-gushing launcher barrels, their tail fins opening up soon thereafter.

—Impacts from five objects imminent. Calibrating shield.

She watched each projectile drift closer. It was all about timing.

DeymosAllow one overhead strike at minimum shield. She wanted the impact to be felt.

—Overhead shield at minimum safety for one strike.

The first two black LAV rounds struck into the shield's superheated outer layer on the side facing the hangar door, leisurely smoking, shattering into molten drops, each fading before reaching the ground. The hangar roof exploded in slow motion, pieces of structure floating away in every direction. The second rocket entered the shield, sending shape-defining ripples along its dome before smashing its tip on the inner layer. Sparks turned into flames and shooting smoke, a subsonic explosive crescendo causing compression waves to reverberate through the shield to the ground.

Selina directed a mental pulse to impact the men and knock them out in sync with the shockwaves penetrating the air and rocking the vessel. Apocalypse's head jerked back as it struck him and he slowly collapsed to a deceptively soft landing. She quickly checked the vitals of the two operatives crouching with their heads on the floor as if they were praying. Then she turned her probe to Apocalypse where he lay twisted on the ground.

Deymos. Status?

—All systems intact. Maximum safety restoring in overhead shieldfifty-five percent... Seventy percent... Ninety percent... Maximum safety restored.

For a moment, Selina hesitated at the opportunity the situation now presented. She could easily do what he multiple times threatened to do to her and no one would know what really happened. He would simply be considered a casualty of "friendly fire"—taking his knowledge and suspicions with him. But she knew it could not end there. He would be followed by others.