23 | Dinner From Hell

Depuis le début

"I doubt you're doing good if you called me," she answers quickly, clearly in no mood for pleasantries or jokes.

I can't argue with her about it, seeing as I am only calling her because things are currently not good in the wardrobe department. "I need to pick out a dress."

"For...?" she asks in a bored tone.

"Dinner with Jalen's parents," I answer in a murmur, suddenly unsure if telling her is the right idea.

Daniel knows about it because he happened to arrive just as I was getting ready, and since Noah got held up with his track friends, I cornered Daniel into helping me. Noah knew about the dinner from the night I got the invitation, since he barged into my room once I got home to grill me on what happened between Mom and I, only to find me sitting on the edge of my bed—panicking about agreeing to fake date Jalen for what felt like the millionth time.

Unlike those two bozo's though, Malia knows this relationship isn't real.

"Hm," Malia hums out. Before I can question that odd sound as a response, she says, "Wear something that goes past your mid thigh, but not below the knee. Preferably darker colors: black, navy blue, grey, something along those lines. Don't wear heels that are too high. Aurora will think you're a hooker. Don't go too heavy on the make up, either. Go all out for your hair, do not show up with a plain hairstyle."

My mouth hangs open, not expecting Malia to have that much entail on what not to do when visiting the Uccello's. I decide to ignore the feeling in my gut that wonders why she would know so much.

"Wow, okay, um, anything else?" I ask jokingly, still recovering from the information. I send a silent prayer to the god Daniel told me to respect, happy that I'd already went easy on the make up I did. Now I just need to fix my hair and put on the first dress I'd shown Daniel.

"If I were you, I'd choose a dress that airs your armpits out," she says lowly. "If you start nervous sweating and stains appear, you might as well just leave."

"Noted," I answer, trying to hold in the smile coming to my face at the fact that she remembers something so stupid as my armpits sweating when I'm nervous. "Thank you, Malia."

"I got to go. Good luck."

She's hanging up before I can respond, leaving me a little sad at her quick goodbye after I was trying to be sincere and thank her.

The next several minutes are spent fixing half of my hair up into a ponytail, hoping the different hairstyle looks decent on me. Then, I'm pulling on the second dress I tried on for Daniel, since that's the one that doesn't have sleeves.

My phone buzzes a few times just as I turn away from the mirror, helping me decide that leaving everything as it is right now is fine. If I keep messing with my hair or make up, I'll ruin it.

I have three text messages from Jalen. Before opening it, I'm shocked he's even texting me, seeing as we've texted once: the first time he got my number, and from what I'd understood, Daniel drafted that message for him.

Dude: Hert

Dude: Hert*

Dude: Heree**

I chuckle at the series of messages, before frowning at the fact that they're not simple typos, they're Jalen's daily struggle. A struggle he faces because of his parents.

I breathe in deeply as I exit my room, convincing myself to push my annoyance at his parents to the side until I properly meet them.

"Where are you going, Sunshine?"