Chapter 19 - Trouble

My eyes flutter open. This isn't my room. I feel an arm wrapped around my waist, I lift the sheets up a bit to look underneath. I see Maddox's hand resting on my stomach and a smile fills my face. I place my hand over his, intertwining our fingers just as I did last night before I fell asleep. 

Maddox stirs, tangling his legs with mine, pulling me closer. His nestles his head onto my shoulder, his lips graze my ears.

"Good morning." He mumbles, his warm breath sending shivers down my spine.

I grab his hand, pulling it up in the air so I can turn to face him. Our faces inches apart, we stare into each other's eyes for a moment. 

"Good morning," I reply with a smirk on my face and lust in my eyes.

Maddox runs his fingers through my messy hair, pushing it out of my face. He leaves his hand behind my ear and pulls my face closer to his. I lean forward, initiating the kiss, I couldn't wait any longer.

I push my body against him, our legs tangle together and his hand moves to my lower back. I place my hands on his chest and push him back slightly. Our lips part but he leans in to kiss me once more. I laugh and push him back again.

"I have morning breath." I joke, letting out a small smile.

Maddox stares into my eyes and a smile fills his face too. He raises his eyebrows and smirks. 

"You taste fine to me." He replies with a serious yet sexy look on his face.

I close my eyes and let out a small chuckle, shaking my head. His arm around my waist pulls me closer again as he stares into my eyes intensely.

Instead of trying to push him away again, I sit up, resting my head against his headboard. He pushes himself up to sit next to me. I turn my head slightly and look to the side to see him smirking at me. I chew on my bottom lip and look over to the nightstand.

My phone! I reach over to grab it and unlock it, looking at the many texts I have unread.

"Shit!" I mumbled, covering my mouth. Maddox leans over my shoulder, peering at my phone. I push it down and set it on the bed.

"What?" He asks, genuinely curious and concerned. I sigh. 

"I'm supposed to hang with the girls at noon and it's 11:30. We are at least an hour out. I gotta get going, can you take me home now?" I shuffle out of the bed, adjusting my dress and brushing my hair down.

Maddox pops up out of the bed quickly, with only boxers on. Damn, he looks sexy. Maddox notices my stare and smirks. He walks over to the dresser and grabs a pair of black jeans, pulling them on.

He turns around and notices I'm still staring at his body. 

"What?" He jokes. 

"I can only fall asleep in my boxers." He adds, shrugging his shoulders and giving me a smoldering look.

He walks to his closet to grab a shirt, pulling it on. Meanwhile, I put my heels back on that are near the foot of the bed, I reach for my purse and place it around my body. Maddox slips on some shoes and we head down the stairs.

His siblings are in the kitchen, cooking pancakes. 

"Ah, there they are," Jax says sarcastically as we reach the bottom of the stairs. We walk over to the island, Maddox placing his arms on the counter and leaning forward.

Josie turns around from the stovetop and smiles at us. 

"We have pancakes!" She says excitedly, holding up a plate filled with pancakes.

Maddox grins and then shakes his head. 

"We can't." He holds his hand up, motioning them away. 

"I gotta get Cammie home, we weren't supposed to spend the night."

Josie sighs. Sasha, sitting in a chair at the counter whines. 

"Aw, alright." She sticks out her bottom lip.

Jax laughs to himself and looks to me. 

"Did you stay out past your curfew?" He jokes. Maddox and I both laugh.

"No," I say sternly with a hint of sarcasm. 

"I've got to go meet with some friends." I cross my arms and shift my weight back and forth. Maddox reaches over to rub my back and I lean in towards him.

"I'll see you guys later," Maddox says, pushing me back towards the door.

I wave and say my goodbyes as Maddox leads me out.

As soon as we are in the car, I text the girls.

I'm so so so sorry! I got caught up in things, I'll tell you in a bit. I'll be at Baxter's in an hour.

I get one reply from Justice saying, "Alright"  but otherwise my phone is silent. I let out a sigh and look out the window. Maddox places his hand on my thigh and gives me a reassuring squeeze. I smile at him and look back out the window, watching everything pass me by.

We listen to music and have small conversations on the way back. Maddox tells me stories about him and his siblings when they were little. How his sisters dressed him up as a princess, how his brother knocked his front tooth out and how they all almost floated out to sea on a unicorn floatie.

Maddox drops me off at Baxter's saying a sweet goodbye, without a kiss. I hop out of the car and rush into Baxter's, looking at my phone. 12:35!  I groan as I open the door and quickly walk back to the corner booth to find all of my friends. They look at me with concerned looks.

"Where have you been?"

"What have you been doing all night?"

"Did Maddox just drop you off?"

The girls bombard me with questions. 

"I'm fine guys!" I say, holding my hands up in self-defense. I slide into the booth and answer their crazy questions. I tell them almost, everything that happened, leaving out the whole bedroom incident. I tell them how Maddox was sweet, how he threw me off guard, how thankful I was that his parents weren't there. They ask about his giant house and his siblings. I tell them everything and they seem so excited and happy.

Everyone but Mary that is. Mary doesn't ask questions about him. The only questions she asked were, "Did you forget about us today?" and "What have you been doing all night?". She didn't seem interested in my actual night.

After our little brunch at Baxter's, we all start to walk home. Meghan and Justice lead the way, Brooklyn and Breanna not too far behind them. I ask Mary to walk with me, we keep our distance from the others.

"Mary?" I ask, concerned, looking at her. She looks up at me while playing with her thumbs. 

"Is something wrong?" I ask.

Mary lets out a sigh and begins to speak. 

"Well," She pauses, looking at me for reassurance. I raise my eyebrows, inquiring for more. 

"I'm just worried about you." Mary's eyes soften as she searches mine. I look forward instead of at her.

"Worried about what?"