Chapter Twenty-Five: Finding Home

When I got home, I was still mad. I stormed around my apartment, stomping my feet on the floor like a spoiled child. I eventually got fed up with my surroundings and flew down the stairs heading for the main house.

When I stepped inside, I screamed my lungs out. I went to the living room and threw the pillows around, knocking over a blue and white porcelain vase that was sitting on a small table, it came crashing to the floor. It silenced my fit, and for a couple seconds more, I just stood there, my chest heaving, my breath coming in gasps.

I fell to my knees and cried into the couch cushions, smearing me mascara onto their soft, white fabric. After the tears ran dry, I got up and slowly made my way over to the broken vase. I started to clean up the mess, but in doing so, I wasn't taking as much care as I should have. I cut a sliver in my finger and went to the kitchen sink to run it under some warm water. Watching the blood pool on my fingertip as I waited for the water to heat up, my thoughts drifted back to Phoenix.

I thought back to the first time we met. I had to smile thinking about how he had scared me then, and how my view of him had been entirely wrong. He had shown me so much kindness and magick. I thought about the enchanted night I had spent at the Dark Palace, and the beauty of the Portical. I couldn't help but want nothing more in that moment than to see him again. Without another thought, his name fell from my lips in a soft whisper. "Phoenix."

Then suddenly, he was there in the kitchen with me, looking as much the golden Greek god as ever. "You rang?" He said, his brilliant smile lighting up my dark world.

"Oh, Phoenix!" I exclaimed, wrapping my arms around his neck. I was so happy to see him and I realized that it was the first time I had been happy in a long while.

His arms came around me soft and slowly.  "Hey, Beautiful." His cool like tone, a melody in my ears.

"I missed you so much." As I said the words, I knew that they were absolutely true.

"I missed you too, Bonnie. I always miss you when you're gone." I looked up at him and he smiled back at me. "I know you've been having a rough time. Do you want to talk about it?" he asked.

"No," I shook my head.

I thought about depressing stuff way too much nowadays. I just wanted to continue being happy. It had been so long since I had felt any joy. Being inside Phoenix's warm embrace was giving me the blissful escape from all my sorrow. He pressed his lips together and nodded. Then he looked down noticing my scrape on my finger and lifted it up.

I cast my eyes down in embarrassment. I felt his hot lips press against my finger and a quick flick of his tongue. I looked up seeing him release my hand the wound sealed shut by his magical healing powers.  I smiled, again thinking back to our first meeting.

He raised his hand to interlace his fingers with mine and pulling me along, we left the kitchen. Once outside, I noticed it was a gloomy day. The sky was overcast with a thick grey cloud cover and the air was a little chilly. I hadn't bothered to put on a jacket. It was a wonder that I had stopped noticing the weather. I was starting to try and remember when was the last time I had even noticed.

"Wow! This yard is amazing." Phoenix was impressed. I looked around curious as to what he was talking about. Then I realized, he had never seen the backyard garden before.

"Yeah, but it's better when there's some sunshine." I admitted. It was hardly impressive in this drab lighting. I was happy though that my dark prince seemed approving of my little haven.

Phoenix rolled his eyes. "You have to remember, Coral, this is a lot more sunshine than I usually get." And he smiled. I smiled too.

"The Underground is still way more beautiful than my little backyard garden." I countered. His smile grew with that statement. Without warning he suddenly seized me by the waist, wrapping his strong arms around me. His eyes took on a pleading look.