Chapter Eleven: Dreams of Trepidation

WARNING: This chapter mentions sexual relations. It's not extra descriptive but if that makes you uncomfortable please feel free to skip ahead. Although parts of this chapter are vital to the overall story later. I would say PG-13 rating
*****************************************

Making love with Cove was unlike anything or anyone else. Cove was gentle, kind, mindful of each soft caress. I was lost in a sea of his kisses. He would hesitate at times, but I didn't care. I dug my nails into his glistening flesh, craving the very depth of him. Hours had seemed to pass when we had finally finished. Cove could tell that despite my spirit's yearning to continue, I physically could not go on.

I began to sob. Softly at first, the big salty tears started to roll silently down my cheeks and then I was uncontrollable, my tiny frame shaking under the overwhelming pressure of my emotions. For the first time in my life, I felt that nothing was missing. I was awake inside. I could never go back to my sleeping existence. Cove held my sweating body as I wracked with sobs. He didn't ask me any questions. I didn't have any answers; I just needed him close to me. His gentle, soothing kisses eased my qualms and I drifted off into a deep slumber.

It was night, everything around me was dark. There was no moon, a black sky without the relief of stars. A harsh breeze was blowing as I stood in my white dress, waiting by the sea cliff. The smell of salt filled my nose and I could hear the threatening sound of the pounding surf as it crashed against the rocks far below. Cove was there, walking towards me, a worried look on his face. I was so happy to see him, I couldn't understand why he looked so worried. I held out my hand for him to join me. I wanted so badly to run to him but I was frozen in place. I began to worry. As Cove closed the distance between us, he changed, his face became that of Phoenix's and I tried to scream but no sound came out. He smiled wickedly at me his lips dripping with blood.

"I want you, Coral," he said. His smile faded but it afforded me no relief, for it was replaced by a look of pure malice. A frown filled with hate formed as he looked at me, "I will not be denied what I desire, and I desire you."

He grabbed me and roughly forced a kiss on my unwilling lips. I tried to push him away but he was far too strong. Unhappy with my objection, he pulled back and stared me in the face, but the face had changed again. Some older man with grey hair and soft, milky white skin was glaring at me. "You can't win," he said, "you will be mine, even if I have to kill you myself." With no more warning, he pushed me from the precipice. I began to freefall into the darkness. My only thought was of Cove. 'What happened to him, where was my Cove?'

I woke up in my bed, the sunlight streaming into my room. "Coral, what's wrong? Are you alright?" Cove's face was marred with worry as he wrapped his strong arms around me and stroked my hair. He was a safe haven, true to his name he was my shelter from life's vicious storms, he was my Cove.

"Do you want to tell me what that was all about?" Cove was bothered. His concern clearly written on his face was endearing.

"Well," I said, pondering, "It was just a bad dream." Though I did want to unburden myself from the awful dream, the idea of bringing up the topic of his brother was not at all appealing.

"Dreams are important, Coral." Cove, still contemplating, didn't appear to be his usual happy self. "Is it normal for you to scream while you sleep? I don't think so. If it was, I would have heard you the many nights I have spent in the garden. You did scream," he paused to stare at me, his right eyebrow lifted and head half cocked in my direction. "Quite loudly. Now, tell me what this bad dream was about." He was so pensive and I realized that the subject wasn't going to be dropped until I told him.

I gave an exaggerated sigh. "I dreamt about Phoenix." Cove's eyebrow lifted a fraction more. He seemed curious, but he didn't look upset so, I decided to continue, "He pushed me off the cliffs, I think."