Chapter Eight: Take Flight

One moment I was sharing the world's most amazing kiss and the next, it was like someone turned out the lights.  I could hear Cove calling me, but everything sounded garbled and far away, like there was cotton stuck in my ears. He sounded wrong.  I knew that voice, it was beautiful, smooth and deep; it wasn't supposed to be full of worry. I blinked back the heaviness in my lids and looked for Cove's face. Relief washed over his features, but his smile didn't seem as bright.

"Coral," he said my name softly.  He was still worried.

"Hey," I croaked the words.  I tried to clear my throat and sit up but my head began to spin and I was forced to lie back down.  I looked around, making sure to keep my head as still as possible my attempt to avoid any more dizziness. I realized I was in my apartment again, lying on my yellow sofa.

"Here," Cove offered me the glass of water that sat next to him on the coffee table, "drink."  I braced myself upon my elbow and leaned over to take a sip. I already felt much better and the cool drink was a delightful sensation in my parched throat.

"What happened?"  I could've sat up this time, but I thought better of it.  It was best to not push my luck. I lied back, sinking into the plush cushions and draped my arm over my eyes.  The darkness seemed to help.

"I'm not exactly sure.  One moment you were kissing me and the next, you had swooned."  Cove said as he tried to hide the grimace that crept into his features, still slightly disturbed by the memory.

"Swooned?" I perked up a little at his choice of words. "You mean, I fainted?"  His old-fashioned antics were rubbing off on me.  It was an unmistakably remarkable kiss but all the same, it was quite embarrassing. I lifted my arm from off my eyes to peek at him. He was smiling, of course he was smiling.

"Ugh," I groaned and rolled my eyes, throwing my arm back over my face.  He was so cocky, and it didn't help that he had every reason to be.

Cove chuckled lightly and stroked my cheek with the back of his hand. The gesture was sweet and instantly, I forgave him for being such a stud.

"I have to leave, beautiful. Are you going to be alright?" He was hesitant to leave me there, but I knew he needed to get back to his other realm.

"Yes, I'll be fine. How long was I out though? I need to be at work by six this morning." I didn't want to go but, Cove wasn't the only one who had duties to attend.

"Why don't you call in sick today? You need your rest and I'll be back in a few hours to check on you." I was about to protest but then he said, "We can spend the day together. How does that sound?"

He knew just what to say to get me to give in. I looked into his eyes to make sure he was serious and then nodded. I couldn't stand calling in sick unless I was on my deathbed but the temptation to spend more time with Cove was too great to pass up.

"Good," he said, seeing I had conceded. "I will be back in no time. Just rest and I shall see you soon, alright?"

"Okay," I said. There was no point to argue, the idea of sleep sounded like bliss after having been up all night. "Cove?" I asked just as he was headed out the door.

"Yes, Coral?" He turned around, probably thinking I needed something; I did too.

"Promise me something?"

He half smiled at the request, "That depends on what you want me to promise."

"Promise me when you come back that you'll kiss me inside the house," I reciprocated his half-smile, "if I want you to?"

"If that is what the lady wishes." Cove bowed and turned closing the french doors behind him.

I made an audible sigh.  I felt exhausted by his good looks and charms and relieved to finally get some rest. Before I could succumb to sleep though, I had to call Jenna and tell her that I couldn't make it in. It wasn't a conversation I was looking forward to but she was pretty cool about it. Besides being a workaholic, Jenna was a decent person. I hadn't called in sick more than once since I had started working for her and she was actually, pretty worried.