Chapter 13

It was more of a shriek than a scream. What I saw had caused that shriek to escape from my throat but I wasn't stupid enough to allow myself to scream out loud for the wolves to hear.

Blood was what I saw. There was blood. Everywhere.

No bodies, just...blood?

I tilted my head in confusion and stepped towards the wall where the blood was. I rose up my hand and let my fingers ran over the red colour that was stuck on the wall.

It wasn't blood. But rather...paint. Paint? Red paint?

I frowned at the red paint on the wall and sighed, resting a hand against my chest. I had freaked myself over nothing and that nearly got me exposed. I sighed and leaned against the door again, this time sliding down so I could be in sitting position.

I was tired, weak and I was sure that it was almost midnight. I hadn't had any rest since John and Miguel had disappeared and I was certain that I'd been running from the wolves for hours.

I closed my eyes and let out an exhausted sigh.

I was still sweating. Not only from the running but also from the cramped up store room I was in. Perspiration made my clothes cling to my body like a second skin and I was feeling very uncomfortable but there was nothing I could do.

Wooden boxes upon wooden boxes lay upon each other leaving little space for me to stretch my legs as dust hovered around the small room. My breathing sounded unsteady and hoarse but I tried my best to adjust.

I was stuck here for now and I was going to stay here till morning.

☆~☆~☆

Thud.

I jolted awake when something bumped into the door at my back, startling me and making me rise to my feet. Swiftly, I turned around and faced the door to try and see if whatever was behind the door would collide with it again.

I was wary. I still didn't get enough sleep so my body wasn't working with full-blown energy like it normally would in the morning.

Morning? Is it morning already?

I looked around the room to see if there was a window. I spotted one at the side of the room, fixed high above the wooden boxes. The windowpane was plastic instead of glass but unfortunately it led to the diner itself rather than outside as I would've expected.

I sighed and turned back to face the door, waiting for the bumping sound to come again.

It did, but came with much force than the first time.

Thud.

Something heavy pushed against the door making it creak and groan as it weakened its hold on its hinges.

I took a huge step back when realisation dawned on me that the wolves might've found me already. I whimpered agitatedly and began searching around desperately for something - anything that I could use to defend myself.

I grabbed a metal pole from a corner and held it firmly in my hands. Taking a deep breath, I shifted the short metal pole to one hand and used to other to propel myself towards the window.

Thud.

I could hear the wolves barking ferociously as they used their large weight to force the door down. I hurried to the nearest box and started to climb. I climbed the first box, held the second with my free hand and propped myself on it, repeating the process till I got high enough to reach the window.