Chapter 12

"No. John, please." My back hit the tree trunk as John closed the distance between us.

"Yes, Phoebe. Yes." His crimson-stained pupils danced in amusement. "And I also forgot to introduce you to the rest of my family, but I believe that you've already met a few of them."

"Please, stop," I pleaded and whimpered, suddenly feeling defeated. I couldn't find my voice again.

"Actually, I'm sure you have. You've met two I believe. Mark, the one who killed Gabe and Lucas, the one who nearly killed you. If I hadn't threatened Lucas not to tear your pretty little head to shreds when he clearly was about to, you would've been dead sooner and so would he. But it seems that he thought he could just withstand my command and kill you, that bastard. Luckily I was there on time to get him off you before he got his way.

"Oh, but don't worry, he's being dealt with now. In fact, if I hadn't had business to attend to with you, I would've murdered him myself. Besides, that actually means that you owe me," he smirked when he saw my body shiver and continued. "As for my parents, they're dead. I don't and didn't answer to anybody and certainly not to my father. So I killed him. Mum never forgave and also threatened to destroy my mate when I found her, so I also killed her and everyone else who sided with her.

"But the only thing I'm grateful to my parents for is giving me twenty-one siblings for the decades that they were here." He smiled viciously as his canines began to protrude. "Now, enough of the family history, I want you now Phoebe, this very minute. I can't wait any longer. I'm going to mark you and make you mine." He grabbed my arms then lowered his head.

"No," I barely whispered out.

"Yes," he growled, his teeth scraping the surface of my shoulder in the process.

"No!" Finally finding my voice and strength, I kneed him in his groin, catching him by surprise. I took that opportunity and bolted into the woods, running as fast as I could and farther away from that beast.

"Phoebe!" he roared, and I could hear the rage building up in his voice. But I didn't dare stop nor look back.

"You can't run away from me forever!" The trees shook as he bellowed and I almost tripped because I could barely see my surroundings. The full moon's light wasn't as bright as it should've been. Dark, frightening clouds covered half of the moon so I couldn't really make out what was around me.

I breathed hard and fast as I half-blindly weaved my way through the trees. I knew that the diner was close but I couldn't see it and I didn't know this place well enough like John did.

So I turned to the left and tried as hard as I could to find the dusty road that would eventually lead me to my destination.

My legs were hurting, my hands felt numb, my heart was ready to jump out of my chest. Branches and vines slapped my face, marking my skin with fresh cuts and bruises but I hardly paid attention to them. The cold night breeze was already making me feel numb all over.

I couldn't hold in the bravado anymore, reality struck me suddenly and I realised that I was scared. Shit scared!

You can't run away from me!

I fought to ignore the menacing voice in my head that frightened me now more than ever. I needed to figure out a way to find that dusty road for me to know exactly where the diner was.

I was very dangerous to go into the open and move away from the shelter of the trees at night, but I had no other option. I couldn't find my way through the woods, but I could definitely find the diner without any trees to block my view when I find that road.