Chapter 9

Just before it could thrust its fangs into my face, something heavy collided right against the wolf's side and propelled it off me.

I sucked in a chunk of air the second I felt its weight lift off me then rose quickly into a sitting position on the ground. I then looked around to see where the werewolf had gone before gasping when I saw John wrestling with the wolf a few meters away from where I was perched.

However, before I could fully take in what was happening, someone grabbed my hand and I looked up to see Miguel bending down to haul me onto my feet. "Come on! We have to go, now!"

Without thinking, I started to follow him, but my ankle throbbed hard, making me stop to endure the pain. I grunted and held on to Miguel's arm for support as I stumbled forward.

Not wanting to slow him down yet not eager to be left behind either, I limped into Miguel's arms and without a second thought, he hoisted me into his arms and began to run.

But that was when I remembered that someone was missing.

"Wait! John is..." I stopped in mid-sentence the moment John suddenly appeared beside Miguel, running as fast as he was.

My eyes nearly popped out of their sockets. What the hell?

When exactly had he finished fighting off the wolf? How did he win? Why wasn't he dead? To say I was shocked was an understatement, but for lack of a better word, I'd go with that.

To make matters more confusing, it bothered me how exactly John had managed to push the wolf off me when I had struggled with all the strength I had just to prevent it from distorting my face. Sure he was bigger, more muscular, and had been in these woods more than I had, but it still didn't add up.

How he had he managed to do what he did so fluidly when that thing weighed more than a ton?

Maybe, just maybe, it got caught by surprise.

Well, that sounded much more reasonable in my mind, so for the meantime, I just let go of my suspicions. I could feel Miguel's heart beating wildly as he breathed heavily. My head bobbed repeatedly each time with each stride he took and I winced each time my legs bumped against tree trunks and swiped against branches.

Suddenly, I caught sight of the others standing close by as Miguel drew nearer. When we had gotten closer, I could see the fear mixed with irritated looks on their faces. They were standing in the middle of a circle of trees, waiting impatiently for us, I supposed, to get to them.

I noticed Brittany first.

When she made eye contact with me and realised I was injured in Miguel's arms, she sent me an apologetic glance, silently expressing her regret.

I gave her a small smile and spoke when I got closer to her. "It's okay," I said in an attempt to let her know that I wasn't mad. I knew she didn't mean to tramp all over me back at the cave when the wolf had showed up, so it wasn't worth getting angry at her for panicking.

Maddison came from behind her and gave me a smile, which anyone could detect was false. But I couldn't blame her either. Not when I could clearly see that she was breaking inside and was more terrified than I'd ever seen her.

To show that I was on her side, I tried to reassure her with a small smile of my own, but it didn't seem to do much good.

With me still in my partner's arms, Miguel jogged closely behind the others as John led us once more through the woods, saying that where we were standing wasn't safe. Howls resonated throughout the forest so loud that I was positive the werewolves weren't far behind, catching onto our scents.