Chapter Twenty

Through the Thorns

Twenty

"Absolutely not!" My mother yells. 

"Mom," I says trying to remain calm. "We've been over this. If I'm going to stay alive, I need to learn everything there is to learn about being a Guild Leader, and that means going to Maine."

My mother and I have been arguing over this subject for the last hour. It wasn't until I told her that Miles would go with me to make sure I'm safe that she started getting angrier.

"I'm not going to have my daughter travel halfway across the country. Especially if it's with that man." She mumbles the last part under her breath. If I wasn't a wolf, I wouldn't have heard it.

"Excuse me?" I say to my mom, knowing perfectly well what she just said. I sit up more on the couch, almost like a shot of electricity had down my spine making me sit up.

"Oh, nothing." My mom says quickly and waves her hand like what she just said was no big deal.

"No, mom." I say as she gets up and starts to walk out of the room. "Miles going is the real problem here, isn't it? Not me going to Maine."

My mom stops, and turns around. "The man needs to realize that you are still underage. He acts like he's god's gift to earth."

I shoot off the couch, ready to defend my mate. Just as I'm about to open my mouth, my dad came in the room.

"Would you two stop yelling at each other?" He asks rubbing his head with his hand. "I swear. Shelly, Hope needs to do this. So what if Miles goes? He's her mated one true love thing, sorry still getting used to it." He says to me apologetically. I smile at my dad. He has been so okay with all of this, it's mind boggling. I didn't even make the transition that smoothly.

"You're okay with her going with this man? We don't even know him." My mom shoots at him.

"Then maybe you should get to know him." My dad accuses, sending my mother a hard look, stopping her ranting. "Miles is a great guy. You liked him when you first met him. What changed?"

"Don't worry about me." Mom shot back and starts to leave the room.

My parents continued auguring as they left. I shake my head, annoyed and confused with my mom. I don't get to ponder it much as Miles comes in the room.

"She really doesn't like me, does she?" Miles asks as he wraps his arms around my waist. He kisses my forehead, making me forget that I'm upset.

"Doesn't look like it. I'm not sure what to do." I sit back down on the couch, pulling Miles down with me. "But it doesn't really matter. I'm almost of age, and we're going to Maine together. I don't want to go without you."

"You won't." Miles reassures me, and then gives me a quick kiss on the lips. "I have to go back to my place to pack. I'll come back in an hour so we can catch our flight?"

I nod my head at him and give him one last quick kiss.

Eric had told us that there was an old council, called Creaters Noci, in Maine that might have better answers for my questions about being a Guild Leader. The Creaters Noci, or in English 'Creaters of the Night', have been around since the beginning of time, according to Eric. The only problem with the legends Eric told us was that no one has seen a member of this council for nearly two hundred years. Which is also the last time the Guild Leaders were on earth.