Chapter Thirteen

Through the Thorns

Chapter Thirteen

Miles

"What the fuck are you?" Mr. Stevens screams at me. His question wanted to make me laugh. Not for asking it, because it's a respectable question after what he just went through, but because of how he asked it. I try to not chuckle, but I'm sure he catches on. I clear my throat, and try to explain. Mr. Stevens just continues to stare at me, questionably. I can tell he's lost, but when I started talking about Hope, he stops me.

"You turned my daughter?" He ask surprisingly calm.

"I-I-uh," Shit. "It wasn't intentional, and not what you think. Hope was born this way." I try desperately to explain to him.

"I'll leave this alone for now," Mr. Stevens says after a moment. "About you changing Hope I mean. For now, can you tell me why you suddenly went Twilight on me?"

I shrug at him, I'm not even sure myself. "I don't know. That's never happened before. I do know that it has something to do with Hope. I know now that she didn't sneak out to have alone time with Katrina. Something else is going on, something she didn't tell me about."

Mr. Stevens looks down at his watch, "It's not like her to be gone this long with family matters going on." Mr. Stevens goes silent for a second, thinking. "In fact, it's not like her at all to actually want to go out during a time like this. You're right, something's up."

"You got all that just by her going out?" I ask him.

"Wait until you have kids, then you'll understand." Mr. Stevens smiles at me. "Big emphasis on 'wait', please. I believe you want what's best for Hope, but she's still my little girl. I don't want her getting pregnant at the same age her mother did. I want her to live a little before she takes that journey."

I nod my head, understanding his desire for us to wait on doing anything major. I already rushed her into this life, I will wait patiently for everything else.

Mr. Stevens claps his hands, "Okay, now that's out of the way, how do we figure out what's wrong with Hope. You said you somehow know she's in trouble. Wolf thing?"

Is he trying to make a joke? "Uh, yeah. Wolves, when mated, can feel each other." I try explaining. "I have an ability to talk to Hope, even if she's not right next to me."

"What are you waiting for?" Mr. Stevens yells out. "Get a hold of her!"

Just then, the front door busts open. Both Mr. Stevens and I get up from the couch in the living room, and turn around. Standing in the doorway, Katrina looks totally freaked out.

"Where is she?" I ask Katrina, knowing she knows exactly what happened.

Katrina is hesitant to tell me. Now is not the time to come between my mate and I. Something is seriously wrong with Hope. I give Katrina a hard look and the flood gates spill open. "She found a note last night, saying that they know, uh-" Katrina hesitated, looking between me and Kyle.

Someone who knows she's a wolf. Just great. "He knows, just say it." I tell her, not liking where this was going.

Katrina hesitates again, testing my patience. When her eyes dart back to me, she tells us everything. "That if the Guild Leader wants to see her family again, she needs to go to Union Hall, alone and to tell no one. It was planned that I would be with her, but not you. She found out about you two keeping tabs on her while we went out, so she went out her bedroom window. She didn't want either of you possibly getting hurt either. I was supposed to go in and check things out, but then Hope texted saying to follow a black car, but I couldn't find the car. And now I'm afraid it's too late."