Chapter Twelve

Through the Thorns

Twelve

The night tortures me with nightmares about my mother disappearing. My dreams aren't safe, so I barely slept. The piercing yellow eyes of an unknown wolf, the howls of its pack, and the fear I constantly felt in my dreams made even an hour's worth of sleep useless. I woke, from yet another nightmare, covered in sweat, and panting as if I had just ran a marathon. I dart my eyes around my room for the thousandth time, searching for those eyes. There is no one there, again. I lay back down to calm my racing heart. I glance at the alarm clock sitting on my night stand. It's only four fifteen in the morning. I still have at least two and a half hours before anyone expects me to be up.

I use the extra time I have to plan how to meet the wolves that have my family. I have no intention of leaving this secret meeting without them. The note had said to come alone, and to tell no one, but that wasn't going to happen. In order to pull this off, I would need help. I call Katrina, one of the two people I can trust. I know Miles will never let me put my life in danger this way, but Katrina is my best friend. I know she would help me, regardless of how suicidal it sounds. She agreed to pick me up at ten, and we will drive me to Union Hall.

When our plan is final, we hung up. I feel that powerful force again surge forward, and I somehow just know that this plan will work. 

It's just after six, I guess I could officially be awake now. I get off my bed, put my slippers on, and make my way downstairs. When my feet hit the bottom step, I smell coffee. Dad must be awake already. I walk into the kitchen, seeing Dad, standing at the kitchen sink. He's holding a coffee cup in his hands, staring out the window over the sink.

"Morning Dad," I say softly to him. I can't even begin to imagine how he is dealing with mom being gone. 

When I speak, Dad turns his head and sees me standing in the doorway. "Morning, Hope." He smiles at me. "How did you sleep?"

I shrug my shoulders, and began the process of making a cup of coffee. "I guess okay. Although I feel like I didn't sleep at all."

"I know the feeling," he says more to himself than to me. "Hope, I think we should talk."

I place my spoon in the sink, and look over at him. I never like to hear those words from someone. "Okay, what's up?" I ask as I sit at one of the kitchen bar stools.

My Dad takes the seat next to me. "Your mother, well, she- what I mean to say is," He stumbles on his words, unable to find the right ones.

I place my hand on his sitting on the counter top. "Dad, chill. Just say what you need to." I encourage as calmly as I cam. I have a feeling I won't like hearing whatever he has to say just about as much as he wants to say it.

He takes a deep breath, and grabs my hand, as if I was supporting him. He looks me in the eyes, and tells me a story. "When your mother and I were younger, she had an ex boyfriend. He was part of this gang, but your mother didn't know. Well, when we started dating, he came after her. I got her back, but only for a short while. On her birthday, we took a vacation, and the same people took her again. Only this time she was pregnant with you. We were lucky to get her back the second time. With the resources this gang is known to have, we were very lucky. Now, I'm telling you this, not to scare you, but to prepare you. I thought we were out of all of this years ago, but I guess I was wrong. The people who have her-"