Chapter Forty-Three

Through the Thorns

Forty-Three

*Warning! Sexual content*

Cauis

I stand in Rita's kitchen, peering out the window, looking at nothing in particular. Esmerelda has shut nearly everyone out, currently myself included. For a week now she has been held up in our room, using every ounce of power she has to try and see into the future to find Luke's mate. How desperate I am to kill him. I've never felt like this before. I'm always on edge now, terrified he will try and do something to Esmerelda. Not that he would be able to even lay a finger on her with her magic perfectly toned from constant use. I worry deeply about the amount of magic she is using. She told Eric that bringing him back from his world had taken everything out of her, yet she continues to push herself.

I take a sip of the coffee I'm drinking as I continue to stare blankly out the window. I don't know how to help her. I've made sure she eats, even forcing her a few times, and that she sleeps, although nightmares plague her. Her vibrant skin has dulled slightly, and she looks thinner. I worry about her constantly now.

I let out a sigh, and put my mug in the sink, rinsing it out. Slowly, I walk through the house heading for our bedroom. I stop outside the room, just staring at the door, trying to find a way to help Esmerelda.

"I wouldn't go in there." I hear a voice say to my left. I turn my head, not knowing if I'm seeing Septimus or Eric. He pushes himself away from the wall and comes towards me. "I knocked about ten minutes ago and she screamed at me to go away."

Again, not knowing which one I was looking at, I say, "She's under a lot of stress. She's normally not like this." I step to the side of the door, turn, and put my back against the wall there. I stuff my hands in my jean's pockets, and sigh again. I feel like I do it a lot nowadays.

Septimus or Eric comes and mirrors my stance. "I know. She'll figure it out though. She always does."

I look over and smile at him. Esmerelda does have a way of just figuring out whatever problem lies before her. She just shouldn't have to do this alone. The weight of the world is on her shoulders and I feel like she's crumbling under it. "She does, but this she shouldn't have to deal with alone."

"Then why not have Luke help?" They ask after a moment of silence. I look over at them and feel my lips pull up my lips. I don't want Luke anywhere near Esmerelda. We were barely able to get him to agree to find his mate. A mate he doesn't even want. How would we convince him to help find her? In Luke's eyes, the longer it takes us to find her, the better for him. I truly don't understand him. I have never met a wolf who doesn't want to find their mate. "Don't give me that look."

"Then don't say something so stupid." I spit back at them.

"I'm only saying. Luke's mate is who we're looking for right?" They ask as I continue to stare at one of them. Eric and Septimus need to start dressing differently so we can tell the two apart. "Then why can't Esmerelda channel him to possibly narrow it down?"