Chapter Thirty-Five

Through the Thorns

Thirty-Five

March 15th, 44 B.C

I come awake with a start. Sweat covers me. The blanket is wrapped tightly around my legs. Cauis' snores fill the small one room. The sky outside is still dark. Quietly, I untangle the blankets from my legs, and leave the bed. Cauis' chest is bare as he sleeps, the moonlight illuminating him. He is perfect. When he sleeps, the ever present worry lines on his face recede. He looks so peaceful.

I leave the hut, needing fresh air. For the last week, dreams have plagued me. In all of them, Cauis and I are running, hiding. The one this night though, was about Rome burning. I still have not had a vision telling me how, or why, the city burns. All I know, is the day is approaching.

I come out of the tree line, and look down the hill to my families estate. I have not spoken to any of them in a long time. How I wish I could go down there and give my father a hug, my mother a kiss. But they have turned their backs on me. I have been shunned, never allowed to come back. My protection spell is still in place, giving them what little I can. I wrap my arms around myself as a cold breeze comes.

"Esmerelda?" I hear Glabodus say quietly behind me. "What are you doing up at such an hour?"

I turn my head to him on my left. "I could not sleep." I answer him. I have tried to keep my distance from him, and the pack, without being rude. I can not grow close to them. Even if I acted in my desire to.

"What troubles you?" He asks, concern written on his face.

I can not tell him I foresee his death. For me alone to know is a heavy burden. One I do not wish to share with it's victim. One should not live always looking over their shoulders for death. For that is not living. I may have kept my distance from the pack and all it's dealings, but they are still my pack. I am part wolf. I am mated with Cauis. I care for all of them, even if I know nothing about them. Cauis believes my distance has been because I still practice magic. I allow him to believe that. A curse of seeing the future, is that you see everyone you care about die. I have seen other things too. Things that do not make sense to me. As if it is a whole other time.

"I do not wish to trouble you too, Glabodus. Please, keep this between us." I tell him after a moment of silence. "I also do not want to trouble Cauis with matters. He has enough worry."

"As you wish." He bows to me. "I am here, if ever you feel the need to unburden yourself."

I smile at him, knowing he will give his life to save mine.

The sun begins to rise. This used to be my favorite part of the day. Now, today, I wish I could make the sun set again. In my bones, I know today is the day I have been dreading. The day the Republic will begin to crumble. That Cauis and I will run. And the day our pack dies. Today, is going to be the worst day of my life.

I leave Glabodus without saying another word, and go back into the small one room home. I need to prepare for our escape. I gather my things, keeping quiet. I fill a satchel with empty vials, some that have potions in them, and my spell book. The protection spell has worked beautifully on my families home. With its success, I've forgone using Master Druses' spells, and started creating my own. It takes much work and effort, crafting spells, but these I can rely upon.