Chapter 24: Second chances

As Anisha made her way through the corridor of the hospital to find Abhir's room, she didn't fail to notice how clammy her hands had gotten. Her mom tagged along wanting to check on her own new friend. Anisha didn't have the heart to tell her Abhir's truth.

Anisha knocked on the door and let herself inside, cautiously. Her mom waited outside to give her some privacy. A tall man with the warmest smile waved at her to join him. He was accompanied by another lady who's cold stare contrasted the man standing beside her. The line appeared between her brows as Anisha glided closer.

Abhir laid awake with a huge bandage on his left shoulder. His right hand was cradled between the well-manicured hands of the crisp women. "You wanted to meet them. Here they are," Abhir chuckled instantly cringing with pain.

"How are you feeling today?" Anisha grabbed the bar on this bed.

"Like I've been shot," he snickered before adding, "Anisha, this is my mom, Kiran, and my stepdad, Walter."

Anisha smiled at the older couple. Kiran was well maintained and gorgeous, on the other hand, Walter was a tall and handsome man with light blond hair and pink cheeks. It momentarily crossed her mind that Kiran had been a rape survivor. Anisha dropped her eyes. "Did they say when it's safe to go home?"

"They've said he will need to be under observation for 5 days. He needs to stay here for recovery." Kiran tightened her jaw. She spoke with a strong British accent.

"We're trying to convince the authorities to take him back to London as soon as possible but I believe the police need to file their report first," Walter interjected.

"What were y'all doing there!" His mom spat.

"Mom, it wasn't her fault."

"Whose fault is it then? I don't see her shot up?" Kiran studied Anisha.

Shifting uncomfortably under her watchful eyes Anisha retorted, "I can't imagine how scared you must be. I'm sorry this happened. Your son is a brave man, what happened was terrible."

"Mom, can you please give us a minute?" Abhir pulled his hand away.

Walter on cue walked over to his wife, patting her back. He gave Anisha a sympathetic smile as he passed her while dragging Kiran out.

"You didn't tell me how hot your stepdad is," Anisha cackled when they left the room.

Abhir rolled his eyes, "That was all I heard through high school." He extended his free hand to her.

Anisha welcomed his hand, "Does the wound still hurt bad?"

"Nah, the pain meds help but it's still sore." He drew a long breath.

"I'm leaving tonight. Wanted to drop by to check on you and say goodbye," Anisha blinked repeatedly. The air in the room feeling heavy.

"You're not getting rid of me, are you?" His eyes twinkled. Abhir was a tease even with a gunshot wound.

Anisha snorted, "You never know."

"I'll come to see you once I'm out. You're the only reason I have left to visit India," Abhir looked away. The thought of his father making him squirm.

"You haven't spoken to him?"

Abhir stared at the ceiling. "I don't know if I want to keep in touch with him anymore." 

"Well, I cannot really give you any advice due to my lack of experience...But Walter seems more like a dad to you than Siddhesh Ahluwalia ever was or will be. Don't you think?"

"That's because you have a crush on him," Abhir rubbed his thumb slowly on her skin, making her heart flutter slightly. Enough to distract her.

"Oh, shut up."  Anisha cleared her throat. "Either way, why do you feel the need to be accepted by a man who refused to acknowledge you as his son all these years? Walter is your dad."

Abhir facepalmed. "Alright, mother. Give me a break."

"Before I forget, mom's waiting outside to meet you. Let me go call her and your parents back."

Anisha barely rose from her seat when Abhir said, "Anu... it means a lot that you came to see me," the smile disappearing from her face. "Is there a chance we can start over again?"

Anisha bit a lip, "Sure we can." 

"Would you let me take you out again? With no ulterior motives this time." His eyes glinted with hope.

She raised an eyebrow, choosing her words carefully, " I'll be lying if I say I didn't have fun these last few months. Ulterior motive or not, you made me happy. I don't know how much of that was the real you...but"

"99%, I promise," he attested making her giggle.

Anisha walked over to room door, "Then maybe, in the future." 

 "Correction, near future," Abhir yelled after her. She shook her head.

Suman hugged Abhir goodbye and thanked him for protecting Anisha from the thugs in our fake story. She invited Abhir, Kiran, and Walter to visit them home in Mumbai.

Anisha felt herself tear up in the car on her way back to the hotel. She didn't know when she was going to see Abhir again. A part of her heart was going to miss him.

Later that day, Mom and Anisha packed the last of their things as they intended to spend the rest of the day at Mahesh uncle's home. Her uncle heaped their bags in the car's trunk as a red Mercedes Benz stopped behind them. Assuming it was one of the hotel guests, they simply ignored them.

A male voice coming from behind startled her, "Anisha?"

Her uncle and she turned to address the person behind them. She recognized him instantly. Anisha took a step in his direction, looking over his shoulder at the women dressed elegantly in a cream pantsuit. "Hi Danish, how can I help you?"