tŵęñtÿ øńę

{♡}

"Is everything ok?" He immediately asks when the FaceTime call connects. I saw he was in bed and in much need of a good night rest.

"Yes, Rich." I sigh. Just seconds after I ended the call with my brother I called for a taxi so I could go down to Victorville, a two to three hour drive from Vegas. Richard was very clear in his opinion on joining me but I forced him to stay in Las Vegas. In the morning he would have his flight back to Miami and for the couple of free days he would be with his family. I don't want to feel guilty for taking him with me. This started with a small argument but ended with a lot irritation from both sides. We're both stubborn and strong-minded. Eventually I got him to stay and with a quick kiss on the cheek and a hug I left Las Vegas as fast as I could. I had asked the driver to drive me to the hospital as Carlos would be waiting for me. "Just minutes after I arrived she began showing signs that she will wake up in a few." I clarify, wiping away the tear stains. I heard him sigh in relieve before continuing the conversation.

"I'm glad to hear that, you have actually no idea." I smile a little at his concern. "But are you ok, Valentina?"

"I'm—I'm hanging in there." I answer truthfully. "When Carlos called I saw my own life flash in front of my eyes. Losing mi mamá would completely crush me, to be honest. With my biological dad leaving me for some stupid hoe, my best friend committing suicide at sixteen and now this." Tears begin to stream down my face but I don't even notice it anymore. The only sign of all the crying is the pounding headache that's starting to form.

"Your best friend did what? At sixteen?" Richard gasps, completely waking up now. It's about four am so I don't blame him for sleeping, or trying to sleep. I forgot I didn't tell him that but on the other hand, there's so much Richard doesn't know.

"Yeah." I mumble softly, avoiding eye contact with him.

"I'm sorry." He eventually says but he knows I don't want his pity. The pity I've always gotten by everybody I told any of these stories. It's quiet and we both don't really know how to keep this conversation going. "Tomorrow I'm going with my family to SkyZone." Richard eventually says. I know he's trying to get my mind off everything negative and I'm glad he does.

"Isn't that, that trampoline park?" I ask, a small smile forming on my lips because of his enthusiasm. The enthusiasm to see his family again. He shyly nods and I grin at him.

"Be careful—"

"Vale, vale!" Carlos interrupts me. I sat in the empty waiting room with just one other person. The man sat on the other side and was passed out with his arms crossed in front of his belly. I look up at him in shock and let my phone, with still Richard on FaceTime, face down.

"Is something wrong? Is she out of her stable state?" I exclaim and jump out of the seat.

"No and no. She's still in the same state. I just wanted to say that the doctors told us to go home. She'll be in this state for a while and we're both completely exhausted. They, of course, call us immediately if anything changes." Carlos says, I nod in agreement at him and then remember Richard was still on FaceTime.

"Valentina Sophía Silva Hernandez!" Richard yells and I finally face him. I look at him surprised for knowing my full name. "Que está pasando?" He asks with a nervous face.

"Who's that?" My brother asks, looking from over my shoulder at the screen.

"Nothing new, we're just going home for a few to rest." I answer Richard. I turn my head to face Carlos who looked at me with a raised eyebrow. "And Carlos, this is Richard. Richard, Carlos. Richard is the one I'm 'dating', tú sabes?" I mumble the last part to my older brother. My eyes dart between the two guys for any awkwardness but they nod at each other as a form of a 'hello'.

"Not under the circumstances I expected to meet you but, hi." Richard finally says to Carlos. I look back at Carlos, a little scared for his reaction. Last time I introduced him to a guy, let's just say it didn't end well.

"Same, Richard." Carlos answers Richard. I heavily sigh in relieve that Richard and I are in the clear. I turn the camera to face me again. Carlos and I made our way to his parked car.

"I'm hanging up, Rich, because we're about to go home and you need to sleep. I don't want you to be all sleepy and shit tomorrow with your family." I lecture him.

"Claro, mamí." He answers with an eye roll. Wrong choice of words, homeboy. Carlos spits the water out he was just sipping when he hears Richard's nickname. "What happened?" He asks confused when I look past him to watch Carlos.

"Nada, buenas noches. Besos y abrazos." I am fast to reply. I end the call and walk faster to the car as I feel my cheeks heat up. I feel Carlos' gaze on me but completely ignore it. "Come on, C." I hurry, already standing at the passenger side of the car.

"You are a what now?" He finally asks when he can breath properly again. "You better not be pregnant, girl. I just started to like that guy."

{♡}

xx sophia