Chapter 24

I struggled to get through the weekend and managed the following week that seemed endless with the help of Carlos and work. The nights were bad where the room was empty and I was used to Joe’s presence, but Carlos being the loyal friend he was stayed with me a few nights so I wouldn’t be, or feel so alone but come Tuesday I let him return home. I had to face things which I finally did but the nights still felt strange and all I wanted to do was go climb into Leo’s bed and just cuddle him. I guess one thing I learnt was the fact I depended on people and being on my own didn’t work well with me; how I survived all those years was beyond me.

Saturday finally came but I over slept, sleeping through my alarm and Leo was picking me up at 11 so we could go visit his friend for lunch. It was Leo’s text coming through telling me he was here that woke me up and I cursed. I replied telling him I was running late and I would meet him at the staff entrance, then telling him where it was. After quickly making my bed and brushing my hair so it wasn’t obvious I’d just woken up, I rushed downstairs to meet him, then took him up to my room apologising to which he just chuckled ‘Seriously, what time did you actually wake up’

Of course he knew me too well, but I lied and told him little under an hour ago; I’d been down and had breakfast.

“In your nightwear” he questioned

“Why not and not many staffs about”

“I guess” came out his mouth as he took in my room.

“It not much is it” I said with a sigh; the room wasn’t anything fancy like the guest rooms and was extremely empty with just my things.

“How are you doing” he asked while picking up the photo of me and Joe that was on the bedside table in an old wooden frame that was taken many years ago, I can’t really remember the time, but it was taken as a staffing thing and were next to the front desk. Joe had many photos of us so he left that behind deciding the frame was too bulky.

“Good. Just weird him not being here”

I had told him we’d made up that Saturday morning, but not details and how he slept in my bed the night because I didn’t want him to get the wrong idea, but he knew Carlos stayed a few nights because I felt lonely and was getting used being on my own. Leo put his arms around me in a comforting embrace and I rested my head on his shoulder, my face in his neck as I told him ‘I missed you’ taking comfort in his scent and body

“Yeah, it was weird not seeing you Tuesday” he rubbed at my back.

I lifted my head to look at him. I was hoping to hear the words back, but I guess that was his way of saying it; well, I hoped.

“We have the whole weekend” I smiled

“Yeah, if you get dressed” he teased pulling away from me

“I go have shower” I sighed and left him to sit on my bed taking in the room again.

After making quick work of washing and dressing I went back to the room with my plan all sorted; go have lunch with his friend, take a walk around the Lake he was talking about and over dinner start bringing up the conversation of who I really was. With free time on my hands I had done some research on the Vampire network Henry was talking about so I had accurate answers to give him. I was a little disappointed there was no page that gave guidance on how to tell a human who you are, but with my new found knowledge I knew how to answer any questions he might have if he doesn’t kick me out of his life at first chance. I wanted to print the pages out so he could read himself but the network wouldn’t allow it, so I had to remember all the important facts.

It was good to see his friends again, they both welcomed me warmly with a hug and Julie gave me a peck on the cheek saying I looked tired. I told her ‘I was alright, just a long week’.  We sat in their garden on the swinging chairs in the shade which was nice because it was a very warm day with the sun shining bright. As we ate the summer salad everyone caught up with work and life. Julie was easy to talk to, but I guess that had to do with her line of work being in Social Services and dealing with vulnerable children. I found myself opening up to her about Joe while the guys chatted, his love confession and him leaving, how I felt about it all when he left and how I was coping alright now. She sympathised and told me my reaction was normal and I felt Leo’s hand on mine so I looked to him.