The First Step

The first thing that I heard this morning was a girl with an incredibly annoying voice practically yelling at her friend. She is giving me a headache, I want so desperately to tell her to shut her mouth, but I need to change my personality a lot. The boy she was with looked like he is used to this, I feel so sorry for him.

Girl: Wake up lazy bud!

The boy sighed and got up.

The girl then started singing, my god make it stop!

Girl: It's morning, It's morning, it's morning, It's moooorning! I can't believe we've been at Beacon for a full twenty-four hours!

They left into the bathroom, but I could still hear her voice echoing out of it.

Girl: Not that I thought we'd get kicked out or anything, I mean, you're the perfect student and I'm, well, I'm me! But it's just crazy, you know? We've been friends for sooooooo long. What are the odds that we'd still be together? Well, not "together" together. Not that I'm not saying you're not handsome! You are handsome, but that'd just be weird... Right?

Then they left the room to get breakfast, and I was silently thanking Oum because I thought it was over, I quickly got up and got in line for breakfast and got some food and sat as FAR away as possible from those two. Three people came up to me, two of them I am happy to see, the other I am not so happy to see.

Blake: Good morning, Y/n.

Ruby: Are you ready for initiation today?

Me: Of course I am, just don't make me save you all too many times.

Weiss: Y/n, plea-

Me: Go away.

Weiss: Please?

Me: I could have sworn I told you to go away.

Weiss: I am sorry for what I did!

Me: Sorry doesn't remove the scars from my body, sorry doesn't give me back the four years of my life that I was stuck in that basement! Sorry doesn't give my ability to feel back. Do you have any idea how it feels to not be able to feel anything? It is almost maddening! I can't feel warmth, touch, cold, or anything! All because you guys got tired of having me around! I don't even know what a loving embrace feels like, and I never will because of you!

Weiss was crying now, but I wasn't done.

Me: You guys didn't even miss me, did you?

She started crying more. She managed to form a sentence.

Weiss: Winter and I were crushed when dad did that. Despite what we did, we missed you so bad!

Me: You didn't miss me, you missed your punching bag. I bet you guys started beating on Whitley the second I left.

She didn't have time to respond because I got up and walked away with Blake and Ruby shooting Weiss dirty looks. We walked into the locker room, and we went our separate ways and got our gear. The girl from before was still talking, good lord does she ever stop?

Girl: I know! We'll have some sort of signal! Like a distress signal! *gasps* A secret signal, so we can find each other in the forest! Can you imitate a sloth?

I don't think sloths make much noise...

Boy: Nora?

Huh, so that's her name.

Nora: Yes, Ren?

So that's his name, noted, this guy seems like someone I can hang around.

Ren: I don't think sloths make a lot of noise.

Nora: That's why it's perfect! No one will suspect we're working together!

Ren: Come on, Nora. Let's go.

Nora: But not "together" together. *giggles*

She ran after him, thank god. I heard Ruby and Yang's voices, two more people I can hang around with for my time here.

Ruby: Wonder what those two were so worked up about.

Me: Tell me about it, I have been unfortunate enough to hear her talking for the entire morning.

Ruby jumped at my voice. But then, hugged me?

Me: You know I can't feel that right?

Ruby: I know, but I can so let me have this.

Yang: It seems like Ruby has a cru-

Ruby unlatched herself from me and covered her sister's mouth. When she was sure to be trusted, she let go.

Yang: So! You seem awfully chipper this morning!

Ruby: Yep! No more awkward small talk or 'getting to know you' stuff. Today I get to let my sweetheart do the talking.

She held her weapon close to her and made several weird sounds that made me quite concerned for her.

Yang: Well, remember Ruby, you're not the only one going through initiation. If you want to grow up, you're going to have to meet new people and learn to work together.

Ruby: Ugh, you sound like dad!

Me: I'm going to leave this conversation to you guys, peace!

I walked away from them before I heard a voice that I recognized to be Pyrrha Nikos. I fought her last year in the Mistral regional tournament, she is a great fighter, and incredibly beautiful. The only problem is that she was talking to Weiss.

Weiss: So, Pyrrha, have you given any thought to whose team you would like to be on? I'm sure everyone must be eager to unite with such a strong, well-known individual such as yourself.

One thing to note, Pyrrha hates being thought of as above everyone, she doesn't particularly enjoy being popular.

Pyrrha: Hmm... I'm not quite sure. I was planning on letting the chips fall where they may.

Weiss: Well, I was thinking maybe we could be on a team together.

Pyrrha: Well that sounds grand!

Weiss: Great!

Jaune went between them and started trying to hit on Weiss.

Jaune: You know what else is great? Me, Jaune Arc. Nice to meet you.

Weiss: You again?

Pyrrha: Nice to meet you, Jaune!

He was being incredibly rude and pushed her back, and she bumped into me.

Pyrrha: Oh! I am so sorry!

She turned around and saw me.

Me: Long time no see Pyrrha.

Pyrrha: I never got to say it, but that was a great fight last year!

Me: Indeed it was, that was an incredibly close battle.

She was kind of looking a little sad and disappointed, so I decided to try my best at comfort.

Me: Hey, he may not be interested in you, but there are plenty of others who may be. I am not going to try to stop you from going after him though.

She nodded and we went back to the conversation.

Jaune: So, Weiss! Couldn't help but overhear your fondness of me the other day.

Weiss: Oh, you've got to be kidding me.

I started zoning out for the rest of the conversation and started moving when Jaune got a little too close to Weiss for comfort. Wait, why do I care, I am supposed to hate her, right? But for some reason, I am feeling like I should be showing some sort of brotherly love here. I pulled out one of my axes and right as Pyrrha was about to throw her spear, I threw it right through his hoodie.

Weiss: What was that, Y/n?

Me: Listen, we may not be on good terms, but he shouldn't be that close.

Weiss: Does that mean you forgive me?

She had a hopeful gleam in her eyes. I sighed loudly.

Me: No.

She looked sad before I said the next words.

Me: But I am getting there.

Goodwitch: Would all first-year students report to Beacon Cliff for initiation?

I walked past them and grabbed my ax out of his hoodie.

Pyrrha: It was nice meeting you!

Jaune: Likewise.

We got out to the cliff and stood on platforms, I know what these are, but who wants to spoil the surprise, right?

Ozpin: For years you have trained to become warriors, and today your abilities will be evaluated in the Emerald Forest.

Goodwitch: Now, I'm sure many of you have heard rumors about the assignment of teams. Well, allow us to put an end to your confusion. Each of you will be given teammates... today.

Ruby: What? Aw.

She made several scared noises after that.

Ozpin: These teammates will be with you for the rest of your time here at Beacon. So it is in your best interest to be paired with someone with whom you can work well.

Ruby: *More scared noises*

My favorite part came after this, I know and Oz knows that I am going to be on a one-person team, at least until I find Cinder.

Ozpin: That being said, the first person you make eye contact with after landing will be your partner for the next four years.

Ruby: What?!?

I busted out laughing after she said that, and she sent a powerful glare my way, but I have been glared at by Salem, this was nothing compared to that.

Nora: See! I told you!

Oh, Oum, she is talking again.

Ozpin: After you've partnered up, make your way to the northern end of the forest. You will meet opposition along the way. Do not hesitate to destroy everything in your path, or you will die.

Jaune let out a bit of nervous laughter, and Nora looked happy for some reason.

Ozpin: You will be monitored and graded for the duration of your initiation, but our instructors will not intervene. You will find an abandoned temple at the end of the path containing several relics. Each pair must choose one, and return to the top of the cliff. We will regard that item, as well as your standing, and grade you appropriately. Are there any questions?

Jaune: Yeah, um, sir-

Ozpin: Good! Now, take your positions.

We all got into our stance, mine was just me standing and spinning my revolvers.